Comissioner of Housing, Transportation & Parking Zachary Watts listens to a Student Speakout during Graduate Student Senate's Sept. 26 meeting. (FILE)

Graduate Student Senate: Members to discuss new GOP tax plan

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate will discuss seven resolutions at its meeting Tuesday, one of which would allow the body to write a letter to elected officials about a new tax plan introduced by the GOP. 

GSS President Maria Modayil said language used in the plan implies that graduate students would be taxed differently than in the past.

“Since we are students, we have a different category for being taxed,” Modayil said. 

Modayil said the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students (NAGPS) have begun a “nationwide advocacy outreach” to oppose this plan. 

"Congress has proposed a tax reform bill that will have a HUGE impact on institutions of higher education and graduate-professional students," NAGPS' website reads.

Modayil hopes to have a mass phone call event to call officials Wednesday with participants from GSS. 

GSS will also hear from interim Executive Vice President and Provost David Descutner and Vice President for Finance and Administration Deborah Shaffer.

Another resolution the senate plans to discuss would ask OU to no longer require international students to purchase health insurance from OU.

GSS Vice President for Legislative Affairs Zachary Watts has attended a joint committee governance meeting since being elected at the previous GSS meeting. Modayil said Watts has done a lot to “catch us up to speed” and three of this week's resolutions have came from that joint committee meeting.

GSS meets bi-weekly in Walter 235.

@juIaphant

je827416@ohio.edu