Officer Amelia Jenne poses next to an Athens Police Department car. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Student runs away from police; scammer asks for iTunes gift cards

Correction appended.

Of all the spooky sights during Halloween, students shouldn't run from one: cops.

A student “fled on foot” from an Ohio University police officer at 10 p.m. on Saturday.

The student was found with possession of an open container of alcohol, according to an OUPD report. While the officer was investigating, the student ran from him. 

After a foot chase, the student was found near Scripps Hall and was taken into custody. He was charged with obstructing official business and violating open container laws.

That incident was one of nine alcohol-related citations OUPD issued over the weekend. The department also issued eight citations for possession of marijuana or marijuana paraphernalia.

Carried down Mill

On Friday, OUPD officers responded to a call about an intoxicated male on Mill Street.

When officers arrived, the man was being carried by other people. He had a strong odor of alcohol coming from him. While lying on the ground, he vomited and became unresponsive, according to an OUPD report.

EMS took him to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital and he was later charged with underage drinking.

Hand to hand

An officer witnessed a “suspicious hand to hand transaction” on Friday at about 8 p.m., according to an OUPD report.

When the officer spoke to one of the people, he found the student to have a fake ID and a case of Natural Light beer. He was issued citations for underage possession and having a fake ID.

Staggering by Biddle

A student was seen staggering between Lincoln Hall and Biddle Hall at about 11 p.m. on Friday.

The student fell down in front of officers. He smelled strongly of alcohol and had glassy, bloodshot eyes. He also had very slurred speech and was "very lethargic in his movements,” according to an OUPD report.

The student was charged with underage drinking. 

Smoked out

On Saturday, the Athens County Criminal Interdiction Unit had four traffic stops.

Two of those stops resulted in two arrests for passengers in the cars who had active warrants. The two other vehicles that were stopped were suspected of having marijuana inside them and other narcotics.

In one car, the odor of marijuana could be smelled from the car. Officers searched the vehicle and found marijuana. The marijuana was taken and the driver was released, according to the report. 

The other vehicle that was stopped was suspected of having contraband inside it. K9 Bora found an odor of narcotics in the vehicle. While searching the car, officers found several marijuana pipes and "other contraband."

Computer trouble

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call about a computer scam on Oct. 25. The woman said that she was contacted by a “foreign subject” that instructed her to go on her computer and install malware programs to protect her computer, according to the report. 

She went through some of the instructions until she realized it was a scam for money. The woman said the call ended with the caller asking her to mail iTunes gift cards from Walmart in order to get money from her. 

The woman told the sheriff's office she was working to get the computer's memory wiped. The sheriff's office advised her to contact the Attorney General’s Office and the FBI to follow up with further issues.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated the name of OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.