Officer Stabler of the Ohio Univeristy POlice Department shares a laugh as he leads a group of citizens through campus as part of Stroll Patrol on November 9, 2017. (MIJANA MAZUR | FOR THE POST)

Why OUPD started 'Stroll Patrol'

Each Tuesday and Thursday at noon, Stroll Patrol takes a walk around campus. 

Stroll Patrol was created by Ohio University Police Department Community Relations Officer John Stabler as a way to have OU staff, faculty, residents of Athens and students interact and stay healthy by exercising. The program has been running for about seven weeks, and Stabler has seen an attendance of two to 12 people each time. The attendees have mostly been faculty. 

Stabler said he originally thought of the program when he began his position. 

“I just wanted for folks to get together and have a good time and interact,” Stabler said. “I thought working … and getting steps up for folks and getting people active during lunchtime could be a lot of fun.”

Stroll Patrol walks a different route each time and also hosts a different speaker, Stabler said. He also likes to tell the group trivia during the walk. Stroll Patrol averages 2,500 to 3,500 steps, and walks about 1 mile to 1 1/2 miles. 

Anne Ward, administrative associate for the Housing and Residence Life, has come to Stroll Patrol twice. She said she likes to take the time to get out of the office and walk around. 

“It gets us out and learning about the university and to get some exercise in and make friends,” Ward said. 

Rich Neumann, director of Culinary Services, was the guest speaker Tuesday. He told the group facts about OU Culinary during the walk. 

“I am a member of WellWorks, and I believe in staying fit,” Neumann said. “This is my second workout (today).” 

Neumann has a master’s degree in nutrition and food science and said he believes working out is extremely important in staying healthy. 

“Cancer, heart disease and obesity runs in my family, and I am not going down that path,” Neumann said. “I’ve been exercising regularly since I was a college student. It’s a good way to stay fit.”

Dana Wright, administrative specialist for Housing and Residence Life, was a first-time member of Stroll Patrol. She said a lot of her coworkers have been attending, which encouraged her to also attend.

“It was great,” Wright said. “It’s an awesome afternoon and great to be outside. Rich Neumann told us all kinds of trivia about culinary. I think it’s a great way to meet different people around campus while being active at the same time.”

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu