Billie Eilish is just one of 10 artists you should be looking out for in 2018. (Photo via Flickr Creative Commons user Justin Higuchi)

10 artists to watch out for in 2018

A new year is like a fresh start, and for some people, that means they might want a fresh soundtrack to go along with it. With so much music available on multiple platforms, it can be hard to navigate and tell who you should be listening to. Here is a list of 10 artists you should definitely watch out for in 2018 and add to your playlists. 

1. Sigrid

Norwegian singer-songwriter Sigrid Solbakk Raabe, better known simply by Sigrid, has seen international success with her single “Don’t Kill My Vibe." The pop sensation has previously released an EP of the same name, and recently released her single “Strangers.” Sigrid was also featured on Vevo dscvr’s 2018 Artists To Watch series. Everyone is anticipating what music she comes out with in 2018. 

2. Bastille

Other than collaborating with artists such as Craig David, British alternative four-piece Bastille has been writing and working on its third album. The album will be a follow up to their 2016 release of Wild World. In an interview with NME, lead singer Dan Smith has described the new album as an “apocalyptic party album,” and that it would be out some time in 2018. The band has also hinted they’d be releasing another mixtape where they work with other artists and singers. Overall, it seems like it’ll be a big year for the four, and it’ll be exciting to see what they come out with. 

3. Billie Eilish 

At the young age of 15, pop’s newest it girl, Billie Eilish has taken the music industry by the horns. Her debut EP, dont smile at me, contains music and lyrics that are fitting for a 15-year-old while also being modern enough to appeal to all ages. Eilish was featured on the 13 Reasons Why soundtrack and has gained many fans in her short career. With the electro-pop singer being so young, her music will definitely progress in the future. 

4. James Bay

British singer-songwriter, James Bay, blew up in 2014 with his singles “Hold Back the River” and “Let It Go,” and then released his album Chaos and the Calm in 2015. Having taken a bit of a hiatus, James Bay recently deleted all of his social media content and has started anew. Sharing photos of him in the recording studio and some possible lyrics, it can only be assumed he’ll be releasing new music in the upcoming year.  

5. Craig David

British rapper and singer Craig David has been a hit since 2000 with his singles “7 Days” and “Fill Me In.” While David has been constantly making music in the UK, it’s very possible with the release of his newest album, The Time Is Now, in 2018, that the artist could become bigger in the U.S. also. The album has feature artists such as British alternative band Bastille and DJ Kaytranada. Having already released a couple singles, David has received ample radio play for his single “I Know You (feat. Bastille),” and if the rest of the album levels with the singles, it for sure will be a big one for Craig David. 

6. Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend is the epitome of indie rock, and they’ll hopefully be back with a new album in 2018. Lead singer Ezra Koenig recently said in an interview that the album is about 80 percent finished, but is still a work in progress. This album also marks the first album created since Rostam Batmanglij left the group, so it’ll be interesting to see if there’s any change in the music. Koenig also stated how the band has the working title of Mitsubishi Macchiato picked for the album, so hopefully the album will be finished and released sometime in 2018. 

7. Lewis Capaldi

Another artist from Vevo dscvr’s Artist To Watch 2018 series, Lewis Capaldi is a Scottish version of James Arthur. The singer-songwriter is only 21 and only has one EP out, but his music speaks for itself. His music is broody and evokes emotion, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a breakthrough artist in 2018. Having recently supported Rag’n’Bone Man on his November tour and receiving praise by the likes of Niall Horan and Ellie Goulding, Capaldi is sure to get more recognition in 2018. 

8. The 1975

The 1975’s lead singer Matty Healy has recently given some insight into the band’s third and perhaps final album. Less wordy than their previous album, i like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unware of it, the recently announced Music For Cars will finish The 1975’s trilogy. During an interview with Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe, Healy explained that this album will mark the end of an era, but not necessarily the end of The 1975. There’s no definite release date for the album, but Healy did confirm it would be released in 2018.  

9. Daniel Caesar

Canadian singer-songwriter Daniel Caesar, blends sweet, soulful electronic R&B with acoustic elements, to create effortlessly beautiful music. Caesar began releasing tracks online in 2015 and recently released his debut album, Freudian, in 2017. The singer just got nominated for both Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Album at the 60th Grammy Awards. Though Daniel Caesar has been around for a couple of years, it seems like 2018 could be his big break, especially if he has some Grammy wins under his belt.

10. Arctic Monkeys 

Though the Arctic Monkeys are veterans in the music industry, they’re definitely a band to watch out for. After releasing their fifth studio album, AM, in 2013, the alternative rock four-piece is finally hinting at a new album. Being very tight-lipped about the whole project, bassist Nick O’Malley subtly admitted in an interview that the band has been recording the last couple of months, and plans to release it in 2018. If it holds up to anything AM amounted to, I’m sure the Arctic Monkeys will receive both critic and fan appraisal with their new album. 

@mollyschramm2

ms660416@ohio.edu