Interim Executive Vice President and Provost David Descutner gives an interview Aug. 30 in Cutler Hall. 

Descutner to step down due to medical concerns

Ohio University interim Executive Vice President and Provost David Descutner will step down from his role as the result of a “personal medical situation,” according to a Monday announcement from OU President Duane Nellis. 

In a message sent to faculty and staff, Nellis wrote that Descutner’s medical condition will require his full attention for a complete recovery. Descutner will officially make his departure Dec. 31. 

“David is a valued colleague and a dear friend to me and many others within our University and broader communities,” Nellis wrote. “He is a part of the fabric of Ohio University and is a person who is part of so many people’s personal stories of professional growth and success — be it a student, faculty member, staff, or administrator.”

Although it is unclear who will take Descutner’s place in the new year, Nellis said he would announce the next steps for the transition in early 2018. The university is engaged in a national search for a permanent successor. 

Descutner assumed his role after the departure of Pam Benoit, who accepted a position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in May. He previously served as dean of University College and interim chair of social medicine for the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. He then served as the university’s interim president before being appointed by Nellis as interim executive vice president and provost

In an August interview, he said he was considering returning to HCOM after his time as vice president came to a close. It is unclear as to whether his medical situation would affect his future involvement with the university. 

“I am grateful for his leadership, counsel, partnership, friendship, and passion for Ohio University’s students, faculty, staff, and alumni,” Nellis wrote. “And I know that we will continue to benefit from his intellect, care, and wisdom in other ways now and into the future.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu