Tie-Dye Science

Anastasia Nicholas / For The Post

Tie-Dye Science

Anastasia Nicholas / For The Post

With his vibrant demeanor and a tie-dye lab coat to match, it’s difficult to miss Frazier Nyasulu in Clippinger Laboratories.

Voted most frequently seen in the laboratory by Post readers, Associate Professor Nyasulu teaches entry-level chemistry and biochemistry labs. This fall, he instructs nearly 1700 students, he said.

“All these students will see my pretty face at least once or twice a week,” Nyasulu said.

Nyasulu said his signature lab coat alerts students to his presence.

“My lab coat does a few things — tells students the monster is here,” he laughs. “I think that’s why students notice me. ‘Frazier is in the house!’ ”

The lab coat is a topic of frequent discussion among students, who often ask where it is from, Nyasulu said. It was a gift from the stockroom worker at the laboratory.

“I’d like to get credit for it some other way, but that’s the way I got it,” Nyasulu said. “I probably said, ‘I like that.’ If I say I like it, that’s my way of saying, ‘Can I have it?’ ”

Courtnee Ambos, a junior studying biology, said she often sees — or hears — Nyasulu around the lab.

“Every time, we can hear his laugh from down the hallway,” Ambos said. “I’d say I see him about three times a week.”

Haylie Kinman, a freshman studying biological science, said she loves his lab coat. She agreed that he was the most likely to be seen in the lab, and she said she sees him once a week because he would come into every lab.

“He’s very friendly, very nice, very easy to talk to, and he’s just got a fun personality,” Kinman said.

Nyasulu received his doctorate in analytical chemistry at University of Salford in Manchester, England.

During the about 11 years he has worked at OU, Nyasulu said there have been no accidents in his lab, other than minor ones, such as a student touching something hot.

“I love my job, I love what I’m doing and I love my students. I have the best job ever.”– Frazier Nyasulu

He said his technique for preventing accidents is to design labs so that students are dealing with materials that won’t harm them.

“Students care about their safety,” Nyasulu said. “We take care of them, and they take care of themselves.”

Katlyn Meeks, a sophomore studying biological studies, said Nyasulu is very knowledgeable and safety-oriented. She sees him in the lab at least once a week.

“He’s a very nice person, so he’s very approachable,” she said.

Nyasulu said his students always remember him, but he can’t pinpoint the reason why.

“Maybe because of my laugh,” he said. “I love my job, I love what I’m doing and I love my students. I have the best job ever.”

Kevin Pan contributed to this report

Photo by: Hannah Ruhoff / Staff Photographer

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.