Nicole Schneider (left) and Landen Lama go over the agenda at the first Student Senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017.

Student Senate: Members to vote on Autism Spectrum Disorder checklist

Ohio University Student Senate will vote on one bill and four resolutions Wednesday at its first meeting of the year. 

The bill asks the university to “adopt autism spectrum disorder checklists across departments.” According to the bill, some professionals and students have said there is an unequal burden on students with autism spectrum disorders due to the lack of resources on campus.

In order to help alleviate that problem, the bill proposes adopting “checklists” for all employees. Other universities such as Kent State University have similar items in place, according to the bill. 

The checklist includes questions such as “What is autism spectrum disorder?” and “What can I do to help this student succeed at OHIO?”

Minority Affairs Senator Jordyn Zimmerman is the primary sponsor on the bill. 

Senate will also vote on four resolutions, all of which appoint people to new positions, and hear a presentation from interim Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs. 

Sayrs was named interim executive vice president and provost in early January after David Descutner had to leave the position due to a “personal medical situation.” She previously served as interim University College dean and vice provost for undergraduate education.

“Dr. Sayrs was an obvious choice for me as she has proven to be a highly-valued and trusted member of the institutional leadership team,” OU President Duane Nellis said in a news release. “I know she will excel in this position, just as she has in every other position in which she has ever been asked to serve.” 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu