Provided via Ohio Bobcats Hockey

Bird Arena when it first opened in 1958.

Bird Arena: A History

01.19.18

Bird Arena has stood the test of time throughout Ohio hockey’s 60-year history

Matt Parker / For The Post

Ohio University is home to some of the most iconic and well-renowned athletic venues in the country. Off the banks of the Hocking River and State Route 33 rest Peden Stadium — considered the “crown jewel of the Mid-American Conference” — and The Convo, which has seen many historic basketball games and wrestling matches.

It’s fair that these two facilities garner the attention of collegiate athletic fans, but there’s just one more venue on campus that has housed truly one of the most successful programs in varsity or club sports.

In the shadows of the recognizable varsity home venues lies Bird Arena.

Since the program’s inception back in 1957, Bird has been the home to four national championship teams and a multitude of other admirable success along the way that has paved a stand-tall reputation in the collegiate hockey sphere.

For a program rooted in traditions, it all started at Bird.

On a frigid late December night in 1958, led by Tom Caldwell’s seven-goal performance, Ohio won its first home game in history against Ohio Northern in a 22-0 blowout en route to a 6-2-1 overall record in its infancy stage as a program.

From that moment on, Bird became more than just a building with a sheet of ice on the ground — it became home to a winning, breathing program. With a program win percentage at .681, winning is the only thing expected; unlike some athletic programs, winning is achieved often.

The arena’s rafters are home to multiple banners, including four ACHA national championships, two Ohio Intercollegiate Hockey Association titles and numerous conference banners, all of which indicate success at some point in the last sixty years.

While banners represent seasons of success, many games have stood the test of time, much like the Ohio Northern thrashing. In the final game of the 1964-65 season, Ohio defeated Wisconsin 4-3.

With so much history contained within four walls, coach Sean Hogan is aware that Bird has written its place within collegiate hockey.

“When players from the ‘60s come back it’s the same ice surfaced they played on,” Hogan said. “Everything’s been the same, which is great; it makes it historic.”

No program, however, is without its shortcomings. Most recently, Ohio danced the dance but forgot to tie its shoes in the last number, losing to Central Oklahoma in the 2017 ACHA National Championship Game 3-0.

In its 60th season as a program, No. 5 Ohio stands at 18-7-1. For the last six decades, the Bobcats have always been in contention for a championship run, but more so over the last three seasons.

With the pressure and expectation of winning, Hogan hopes to see his players enjoy the moment that they’re in during this weekend’s anniversary celebration.

“When you’re going through the program, I don’t think you see the magnitude of everything,” Hogan said. “They get to see that these (alumni) did the same thing in the same place that they’re doing now.”

With many historic moments that have stood the test of time — and more on the horizon — Ohio is in a good place. Surrounded by a passionate team, dedicated fan base and caring alumni, Bird Arena and the Bobcats will live to push towards another 60 years.

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.