Christmas lights are hanging up on Court Street.

How to survive going out in the cold

Five inches of snow on the ground can make it difficult to make the trek up Jeff Hill to get to the bars on Court Street. And navigating Court is a beast all in its own on a busy Saturday night. Here are some tips to surviving a cold, snowy night in Athens. 

Wear warm clothes and boots

We all know those people who wear the short dresses and high heels every time they go out. That’s not very practical in the winter. Opt for cute sweaters and knee-high boots. Choose practicality over fashion, please.

Budget accordingly

Instead of buying that last beer before you head home, get on the Lyft app or call a cab to take you home. You won’t have to walk down the icy sidewalks, and it will be a lot more comfortable. 

Know the best routes

Everyone knows about the elevator in Glidden Hall that you can use to avoid Jeff Hill. And with Baker Center open till midnight most nights, it allows an escape from the cold. Find places to pop in on your way home. Grab a bite to eat at an establishment that’s actually inside. You won’t have to wait in line outside, and you’ll be a little happier. 

Go out early

Going out before 10 p.m. will ensure the best spots in the bar. If you leave late when all of the bars are packed, you will have to wait in line and suffer all night in the booths closest to the door. Find a spot near the back and just watch all of the cold people venture in while you’re sitting comfortably and drinking your favorite brew. 

Warm yourself up with a good pregame or just drink at home

If you’re going out, a pregame is a good idea. The alcohol will warm you up a bit, and you can drink from the comfort of your own home. Invite your best buds over for some wine and cheese. If you have a good enough time, maybe you won’t even leave your place and drink at home. In fact, that’s probably the best idea. Who likes snow anyway?

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu