Student Senate President Landen Lama and Vice President Nicole Schneider at the Student Senate meeting on September 6, 2017. (MIJANA MAZUR | FILE)

Student Senate president criticizes tuition increase

Ohio University Student Senate President Landen Lama criticized the OU Board of Trustee’s proposed tuition increases in a Thursday statement.

The OU Board of Trustees recommended at its Thursday meeting a 2 percent fee increase to Culinary Services, a 3.5 percent fee increase to Housing and Residence Life and a 1.3 percent increase to tuition.

The increases apply to the incoming fall 2018 cohort. Current students enrolled under the OHIO Guarantee will not be affected by any of the proposed increases to fees or tuition.

In his statement, Lama said he voted for proposed increases to fees that fund Culinary Services and Housing and Residence Life because he believes the fee increases will improve quality of life for students. He voted against the proposed increases to tuition. 

“I did so because I believe that more must be done to take the sole pressure off the backs of students,” Lama said.

OU should pressure the State of Ohio to increase the funding it provides colleges and universities, he said.

“Within the next year Student Senate will do everything in our power to advocate, alongside the university, to the State for increases to (state funding for colleges),” Lama said.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu