Mike Laster dunks during Ohio's game against Coppin State University on December 1. The Bobcats won 79-37. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Mike Laster scores career high 31 in win over Northern Illinois

After several failed Bobcat drives and kick outs, Mike Laster stood at the 3-point line with 7:04 remaining. Four seconds remained on the shot clock. 

Laster executed a series of dribble moves and followed with a step-back 3-pointer as the shot clock expired. He saved the possession, extended the Ohio lead to 15 and notched his career high 26th, 27th and 28th points (of his eventual 31) in the process. 

Just as he did for much of Saturday afternoon’s 78-68 win over Northern Illinois, Laster bailed the Bobcats out with that 3-pointer. And after three years of hours in the gym without reward, Laster is earning his time in the spotlight this season. 

“I’ve pictured myself in a close game in The Convo,” Laster said. “But it was just me in there. That’s just my imagination.” 

Laster doesn’t need to imagine himself as the star of The Convo any longer. His 31 points Saturday marked his 10th straight double figure performance and his 11th in 13 games this season. 

Prior to this year, he had just eight such games in his career. Now he's the Bobcats' leading scorer and best player on a consistent basis. 

He’s the player his teammates turn to when the clock runs down and they need a bucket. 

“He’s our senior,” freshman guard Teyvion Kirk said. “Even the shots that are awful that he takes, I’m fine with it. They go in.”

Their senior had an answer for every problem on Saturday. Whether it was the 3-pointer at the shot clock buzzer, or the way he carried his team with 16 of its 36 first half points, or the layup and free throw with 3:55 remaining that helped Ohio reclaim its double-digit lead to close the game, Laster propped up his team teammates at every turn. 

It was against NIU, ironically, when Laster began to show promise as a legitimate offensive option last season. Laster scored 14 points on Jan. 21 on 5-9 shooting. He proved himself as a bench scoring threat in the following weeks with five more double-figure scoring performances.

Nearly one year and four career high scoring outputs later, Laster is a top-10 scorer in the conference and a problem the NIU defense couldn't solve. 

“You have to credit him for getting in the gym,” NIU coach Mark Montgomery said. “Working on his game, working on his body. He’s a tough matchup.” 

Laster’s work ethic is well-known and discussed around the Ohio program. He started 12 games his freshman season. He didn’t start again until opening day of this year. 

Coach Saul Phillips often mentions how easily Laster could've expanded his role by transferring to a different program. 

But he stuck by Phillips and the rest of the Ohio staff. 

Saturday’s performance represented another triumph in Laster’s process of realizing his potential. And considering the lumps he took along the way, it’s no mystery why his coach speaks so highly of him. 

“It has been a very rewarding year in terms of watching Mike Laster grow as a person as a player and as a leader,” Phillips said. “Proud, just proud.”

@JimmyWatkins95

jw331813@ohio.edu