Police Blotter: Snowball-throwing student arrested; 'intruder' held at bow-point

Snowball fights are a great winter activity — except when they land someone in jail.

On Sunday, someone saw a student throwing a snowball at a window in Scott Quad.

A resident let the student into the building, and an Ohio University Police Department officer saw him shouting from an open hallway window, then slamming the window shut.

The officer found him lying down on his back on the second floor landing. According to the OUPD report, he smelled like alcohol and had marijuana on him.

The student was charged with possession of marijuana and underage drinking and was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Grab your bow

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a call Monday from a Glouster man who said two people had kicked in a door and were attempting to steal items.

When deputies arrived at the residence, the man and a family member were holding the intruders at “gun and bow point,” according to a sheriff’s report. 

The deputies determined that the owner of the property had sent the two people to pick up some items from the property and hadn’t told the tenants.

Keep a spare

OUPD received a call Sunday about an intoxicated man in the second floor common area of Sowle Hall.

An OUPD officer spoke to the student and determined that he smelled like alcohol and “had trouble maintaining his balance.” The student was arrested for underage drinking and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. 

After his arrest, two fake West Virginia driver's licenses were found.

Fox in a henhouse

The sheriff’s office dispatched deputies to Alexander Township for a report of gunshots Sunday.

The caller told the office there were gunshots and was concerned because it was late at night. When the deputies arrived, they spoke to the caller’s neighbor.

The neighbor told deputies “a fox was messing with his chicken coop,” and he had fired his gun to scare it away, according to the sheriff’s report.

Candle connoisseur 

Someone reported a breaking and entering at a workshop in Athens to the sheriff’s office on Saturday. The caller reported hundreds of dollars worth of “candles and other items” missing.

Deputies interviewed a suspect and located the candles and a lamp.

Charges will be sent to a grand jury, according to the sheriff’s report.

Farm problems

The sheriff’s office took a damage report Monday at a pasture field in Coolville.

The property owner told deputies his neighbor had driven across his cattle pasture without permission, leaving large ruts in the field. Deputies tried to speak to the neighbor but could not find him.

“Contact will be attempted again,” according to the sheriff’s report.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu