McKinley Law | FILE

Ohio University's Jacob Houston (middle) and Jake Faiella (right) go against John Carroll's John McMahon (left) for the puck at Ohio University's Bird Arena on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017.

The Unusual College Start

01.19.18

A vast majority of the Bobcats roster started college at age 20

Matt Parker / For The Post

It was Aug. 25, 2014, and then-freshman defenseman Jake Faiella was prepared to embark on his journey as a college student. Every student’s path in taking that first step is different, but Faiella was in a league of his own compared to his classmates.

A vast majority of his classes were with other freshmen, obviously. True 18-year-olds who most likely hadn’t had to rely on themselves as much as they would then, and then there was Faiella: a 21-year-old who had just started his collegiate career.

“I was a whole man by then,” Faiella said. “I had a bunch of (what felt like) kids looking at me.”

Now, at 24, Faiella still receives more than a few surprised looks when a professor calls roll and wide-eyed peers sit in their chairs in a state of shock and perhaps a bit of confusion.

“I still get a few people go, ‘Hey, how old are you?’ despite the fact most of my classes are with juniors and seniors.”

For a vast majority of the Bobcats’ roster, being older than the average student isn’t something new. The team is comprised by a majority of freshmen and sophomores, despite the fact that the average age of the Bobcats squad is 21.69 years old.

This 1.5-2-year age differential is caused by what brought them here: hockey.

In order to develop the skills and traits necessary for playing such high-level hockey, many mid-adolescents go through junior ice hockey, commonly referred to as juniors.

With ages that range from 16-21, traditional schooling is sacrificed for a chance at something that most young adults don’t get the opportunity to do.

There are always a few exceptions to rule however. Freshman goalie Jackson Chilberg chose to go the traditional route in terms of schooling. Rather than playing hockey, school came first. With that, comes the sacrifice of skill and being the youngest player on the team.

Chilberg, who turned 18 in November, said being the young guy was hard at first.

“Growing up, I played with my same age group for my whole life, (so) it’s been an adjustment,” Chilberg said. “I love every bit of it, though.”

Being the youngest, whether on a team or in a family, comes with its natural state of being the runt of the litter. This is no exception for Chilberg.

“After practice I have to clean everything up, from pucks, sticks and nets,” Chilberg said. “I also do the team laundry.”

With work comes rewards, though; in Chilberg’s case, the reward is having relationships with teammates who have been playing the game a few more years than he has.

“Over (winter) break, I stayed with Gabe Lampron,” Chilberg said. “We’ve been hitting it off pretty good, and I consider us good friends; he’s been showing me the ropes.”

Whether it’s on or off the ice, Chilberg is surrounded by talent that is aged and experienced, and not too proud to help just because they might be five or six years older.

“I tell the youngers, ‘Hey, if you ever need some help, ever need to know something, let me know,’” Faiella said. “I’ve been through a lot; it’s nice to help the (younger) kids out.”

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.