Here are the 10 best songs from 2008. (photo via YouTube screenshot user @KatyPerryVEVO)

10 best songs that turned 10 years old this year

2008 was a super weird time for me. I was 11 and still too sad of an individual to admit that I actually liked any type of pop music. Now, I’m ten years older, old enough to drink away my sorrows away legally if I so choose and learned to embrace the power of the three major music categories: the jam, the bop and the banger.

With those three categories, it’s time to define some 10-year-old songs with some modern terminology. 

Warning: this list is going to make you feel old in the best way possible. Based off of Billboard's Year-End 2008 Hot 100 songs, here are the top 10 bangers, bops and jams.

10. “Bubbly” by Colbie Caillat

To be honest, this song is a bop. I’m not sure what it is exactly, but this song is adorable as heck and needs to be on the list.

9. “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz

Just think back to when this song wasn’t played by every guy on campus with a ukulele. Smile. Smile because it was a simpler time and remember this jam.

8. “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy Tell’em

It’s on the list for the nostalgia of jams of every school dance ever since it’s been released, but have you ever heard it outside of a dance? I haven’t.

7. “Low” by Flo Rida ft. T-Pain

This song wants to be a banger, but in my heart, it’s nothing more than a jam. Maybe it was my aversion to any music that didn’t require heavy eyeliner to listen to, but I only know the words to the chorus. I need more than that, Flo Rida.

6. “Our Song” by Taylor Swift 

Like Jason Mraz, we are headed back to a simpler time. A time when Taylor Swift was new and something like her album, Reputation, didn’t exist. Please jam out and take me back to Taylor writing love songs and not about how she doesn’t care, even though they were incredibly produced.

5. “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay 

Yeah, this song is the definition of a bop, and it is the best bop to ever grace this Earth, but it’s still Coldplay. This song set up such a promising future, but what happened to Coldplay? Honestly, I don’t care.

4. “Don't Trust Me” by 3OH!3

This shouldn't need a reason. I don't know anyone who doesn't know this banger, and I'll rock my 3OH!3 snapback that I got for a dollar at Hot Topic from time to time to this day.

3. “Love Song” by Sara Bareilles

This song is just a girl and her piano, but it is a straight banger. I remember watching this music video every day on VH1 before the bus picked me up. If that doesn’t describe the excitement of an 11-year-old, I don’t know what does.

2. “Shake It” by Metro Station

Not only did Metro Station come to Ohio University a few years ago, they’re basically a one-hit wonder comprised of two siblings of the main actors from Hannah Montana. Everything about this screams for the nostalgia for a jam, but you and I both know it’s certified banger.

1. “I Kissed a Girl” by Katy Perry

No. 1 certified banger. There is nothing better than this: exploring sexuality, Katy Perry on Warped Tour and some good ol’ rock guitar. Before the days of “Swish Swish," we liked Katy Perry.

@lpasqual182

lp059813@ohio.edu