Thread the Needle: Makeup on a budget

With so many different makeup brands to choose from, it can be difficult to know which brand is the right one for you. A ton of amazing brands are either only available online, like Sugarpill, or the products are inaccessible in the area, which is just about every non-drugstore makeup brand if you live in Athens, Ohio. 

It is always preferable to go to a makeup counter to pick out new makeup. You can talk to the salesperson, and even try on the product. As college students, we often have to resort to stocking up online. Here are five ways to narrow the search in the vast sea of online makeup brands that have nothing to do with how it looks. 

1.The brand has colors that suit many different skin tones. 

Only catering to lighter skin tones has been a problem for makeup brands in the past. More and more brands are expanding their foundation colors, and I would advise you to pick one of those brands. Not only is that the right thing to do on the companies part, but with more colors to choose from, it is more likely they will have your perfect match. 

Try it: Fenty Beauty

Try it on the cheap: L’Oréal True Match 

2. The brand is environmentally friendly. 

This will make you feel good about buying that 12th eyeshadow palette, because you are also saving the environment. Brands have lots of opportunities to be environmentally friendly, whether it uses eco-friendly packaging materials, or uses more natural ingredients in its formulas. Choosing an environmentally savvy brand can also help your wallet. At MAC Cosmetics, if you bring in six empty MAC containers, they will give you a free lipstick.

Try it: Mac Cosmetics or Origins.

Try it on the cheap: Sally Hansen Natural Beauty

3. The brand is in your price range. 

Makeup doesn’t last forever. It is important you aren’t breaking the bank on every buy. Pick a brand that is sustainable with your budget. Maybe you can afford one Yves Saint Laurent mascara, but what happens when it gets crusty in three months? 

If you woke up in a Bugatti: La Mer

If you woke up drowning in college debt: ColourPop

4. The brand fits with your skin type. 

There is a market for every type of skin, so don’t settle for something that doesn’t suit yours. If you have sensitive skin, search for a brand that caters to that, don’t go generic. For oily or dry skin, make sure the formula doesn’t contribute to the problem. 

5. The brand that is tried and true. 

Just because you personally can’t try it on doesn’t mean you can’t watch others try it on. Beauty vloggers have made a video every product under the sun. If you strike out there, reading customer reviews is the next best thing. 

Try it: Estée Lauder 

Try it on the cheap: Neutrogena

Zoe Stitzer is a freshman studying journalism news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Zoe know by tweeting her @zoe_stitzer.