Ohio's Taylor Saxton slides into second base during the Bobcats' game against Bowling Green on April 21. (FILE)

Softball: Ohio falls just short of title in Homewood Suites Invitational

Ohio made it to the championship of the Homewood Suites Invitational this weekend but lost in the final game. The Bobcats lost 4-3 in eight innings to tournament host NC State on Sunday. 

The Bobcats tied the game at two in the sixth inning when freshman Katie Yun doubled to center, scoring Mikayla Cooper, but Alexa Holland was thrown out at the plate.

Danielle Stiene pitched a complete game but took the loss.

After giving up a two-run home run in the top of the eighth, the Bobcats fell short of another comeback, scoring one in the bottom of the final frame.

The Bobcats went into Sunday’s game on a high note, having won all four games of the tournament before that.

The tournament began with a five-inning 12-4 win over Delaware State. The Bobcats began the game down 4-0, but scored in every inning except the fourth to come back and win. Cooper’s three-run home run in the second gave the Bobcats a lead that they did not give up.

Alex Day hit her second home run of the season, scoring two runs for the Bobcats in the third inning. Stiene got the win in relief, pitching 4 1/3 no-hit innings and striking out five.

The second game on Friday was a 8-5 nine-inning win over Wagner. 

Michaela Dorsey hit a three-run home run in the top of ninth to give the Bobcats the lead, and Stiene finished the game.

Stiene also won the game, again coming into the game as a reliever. She threw three innings and gave up one hit and no runs.

On Saturday, the Bobcats won their first game against NC State, 5-2. 

Morgan Geno hit her first home run of the season in the third inning, and Stiene pitched a complete game, giving up two runs on 10 hits. She also struck out 10.

The Bobcats also beat Delaware State for the second time in the tournament Saturday, this time 6-4.

Ohio also began this game down to start, this time a 1-0 deficit. Cooper hit a two-run double in the second to cap the Bobcats’ four-run inning.

Delaware State tied the game in the top of the sixth, but in the bottom of the inning, Yun drove in two with a single to right field to give the Bobcats the lead back.

Kendall Meeks won her first game as a Bobcat, pitching two innings and giving up two runs on three hits.

Ohio plays next March 3 and 4 at the John Cropp Classic in Kentucky, where it will play host Kentucky and Southeast Missouri State. 

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu