Police Blotter: Puppy ownership disputed; student shows fake ID

The Ohio University Police Department dispatched officers to the lobby of Bromley Hall on Feb. 8 for a report of an intoxicated female. 

While the officers were attempting to identify the girl, she showed the officers a fake ID, according to an OUPD report. 

She was arrested and charged with underage drinking and having a fake ID and was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. 

Unknown Address 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report Feb. 10 about a man who made a friend on the internet. The friend said she lived somewhere outside of Athens.

While the man was talking to her on the phone, the line went dead, according to a sheriff’s report. 

He said her phone battery was low, so he was not surprised when the line went dead; however, she had previously said the car across the street was flashing its lights and he was worried for her wellbeing. He had no actual address for the girl, so nothing could be done.

The Mistaken Pup

The sheriff’s office took a report of theft of a puppy Feb. 12 on Vore Ridge Road. 

After deputies spoke with the dog warden and the prosecutor’s office, they determined the puppy’s ownership was a civil matter, according to a sheriff’s report. Both of the owners had dog tags for the puppy and were claiming ownership. 

Nobody’s Home

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Dover Township on Feb. 8 for a report of a possible breaking and entering. 

The caller said the house across the street was supposed to be unoccupied, but they could see lights on inside.

Deputies checked the residence but found all doors and windows to be locked, according to a sheriff’s office report. There were no signs of tampering or forced entry and no signs of any criminal act. 

No one was seen or heard inside the house. 

Unwelcome 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report Feb. 10 when a Mill School Road resident said a woman they knew walked into their home unannounced and was not welcome. 

Deputies did not charge the woman with trespassing and gave her a ride down the road to another residence where she was welcome, according to a sheriff’s report. 

The Trespassing Dad 

The Ohio University Police Department was dispatched to Wray House on Feb. 10 for an intoxicated man, according to an OUPD report. The man was found sleeping on a sofa. 

The man told the officer he was staying with his son but was unable to tell him what room or dorm his son actually lived in. Officers arrested the man and cited him for disorderly conduct by intoxication. 

The Tired Man

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office assisted the Athens County EMS on Feb. 12 with an unresponsive man located in a vehicle in The Plains. 

The man told EMS he was just tired. He refused treatment and had a friend drive him home, according to a sheriff’s report.

@AshtonNichols_ 

an614816@ohio.edu