OU President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members to discuss second constitutional changes since 1995

Correction appended.

Eight resolutions amending the Ohio University Student Senate constitution will be voted on at Wednesday night’s meeting, including adding a Bill of Rights. 

The Bill of Rights is meant to outline the rights of students, including the right to be represented by student government, the right to vote in Student Senate elections and the right to discuss campus issues with the university administration, according to the resolution. 

Student Senate President Landen Lama hopes the Bill of Rights will help Student Senate maintain its input in student matters.

“We should have an equal say and equal participation in all student matters … and my main thing as president is that I am trying to ensure that all the work that I have done this year will transition for years to come. To be able to do that, I need rules codified to law,” Lama said. 

It would be the second time since 1995 that the senate constitution has changed.

Lama hopes to pass a resolution allowing Student Senate to vote electronically so it can have more time to vote on constitutional changes. 

“If we can’t get every constitutional change voted upon by tomorrow, we have to vote on it electronically because the student body vote on our constitutional changes is the 28th,” Lama said.

Student Senate will also be voting on a bill asking OU to increase health insurance subsidies for graduate appointments from about 4 percent to 89 percent. Lama said paying 89 percent of graduate appointments’ total healthcare is more consistent with peer institutions. 

There will be a presentation by Chief Marketing Officer Renea Morris at the beginning of the meeting. 

@zoe_stitzer

zs037716@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated the number of resolutions senate will vote on. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.