On a High Note: All you need is love (songs)

Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with someone special, your cat or some pasta, there’s a song to fall in love to. 

“Alison” by Elvis Costello

This is arguably the best love song ever written. Costello’s lyrical genius is at full strength when he describes his one-sided love affair with the girl of his dreams. The 1977 classic makes you believe in the rare breed of good guys. “Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking/ When I hear the silly things that you say/ I think somebody better put out the big light/ Cause I can't stand to see you this way.”

“Wild Horses” by The Rolling Stones

This is one of the legends’ most intimate songs. Behind the sex, drugs and rock 'n’ roll, there’s real men with beating hearts, and “Wild Horses” is a confession of unconditional love. “I watched you suffer a dull aching pain/ Now you've decided to show me the same/ No sweeping exit or offstage lines/ Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind.”

“Unapologetically” by Kelsea Ballerini

This pop-country queen gave us an anthem for keeping your relationship your own, no matter what outsiders think. “The life of my party/ He keeps my eyes starry so/ I'm so sorry for not being sorry/ I'm unapologetically in love.”

“You Are In Love” by Taylor Swift

Swift may be known for her breakup bops, but the songstress slid this beautiful bonus track onto 1989 without a hint of bitterness. Here, Swift evaluates a relationship from the outside and tells the story of watching walls come down and love win out. “And you understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars/ And why I spent my whole life trying to put it into words.”

“Georgia” by Vance Joy

This acoustic masterpiece is every girl’s dream. Joy puts his heart and soul into everything he writes, but this song possesses a delicacy that others lack. “She is something to behold/ Elegant and bold/ She is electricity/Running to my soul.”

“Forever And Always” by Parachute

Tissue alert: This one’s a crier. It’s a detailed account of two lovers’ last hours together. “Then she gets an idea/ And calls in the nurses/ Brings up the chaplain/ And he says a couple verses/ She borrows some rings/ From the couple next door/ Everybody's laughing/ As the tears fall on the floor.”

“Kiss You To Death” by Alkaline Trio

The alternative gurus lightened up for a sweet tribute to an old love interest. It’s the perfect song for missing somebody. “And I don't care if we fuck/ Or if we talk/ Or if we cry/ I just miss you/ I want to kiss you to death tonight.”

“All Your Favorite Bands” by Dawes

This nostalgic tune follows a man looking back on his first love fondly and wishing her well, wherever she is. “I hope that life without a chaperone is what you thought it'd be/ I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever/ I hope the world sees the same person that you've always been to me/ And may all your favorite bands stay together.”

“I Wanna Get Better” by Bleachers

Jack Antonoff is a multi-talented artist, writer and producer with countless hits to his name. This one’s about love motivating him to be the best version of himself. “Woke up this morning early before my family/ From this dream where she was trying to show me/ How a life can move from the darkness/ She said to get better.”

“Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)” by Father John Misty

This catchy folk song narrates the entirety of a love story in detail. “First time you let me stay the night/ Despite your own rules/ You took off early to go cheat your way through film school/ You left a note in your perfect script/ Stay as long as you want/ And I haven’t left your bed since.”

Halle Weber is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you falling in love? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.