Shelby Campbell

Words I Might Have Ate: Playlists are the sincerest form of affection

Finding the perfect gift for a significant other or a good friend is always challenging, especially as a broke college student. It’s hard to find a gift that shows just how much that person means to you without breaking the bank. But a playlist is the perfect way to express emotions without spending an absurd amount of money. 

Playlists have the perfect level of personality. Music communicates feelings better than most gifts because it is full of emotion and expression that can be compiled for a collective feeling. 

Music covers all the emotional bases, especially if there’s variety in a playlist. Playlists can invoke feelings because music is so inherently emotional. Music is a valuable and special way to communicate emotions. 

Playlists also are very personal. They’re interactive and easily personalized. There’s a song to suit any mood in every genre. 

Showing someone art that is personal is an effective way of sharing emotions. It’s a matter of personal interest; sharing art that is meaningful is a good way to get to know someone. To show the art that means something to them is a deeply personal expression. 

Although a playlist has no monetary value, it shows affection. Good playlists take time and effort. It’s less about the money and more about showing emotion and affection toward the listener.

Music resonates with people. It’s rare to find someone who dislikes music, so even if the person the playlist was made for has a totally different taste in music, it’s still sharing something personal. It doesn’t matter what is on the playlist; what matters is the act itself. 

A playlist that is meaningful has more emotion than a store-bought item. Doing something personal to share important art has weight. It shows the listener genuine feelings based on art. 

Writing a playlist is easier than writing a song. Music is plentiful, and finding the perfect song to show feelings is like magic. All it takes is a subscription to Spotify to have a wealth of perfectly communicated emotions. The art of playlists is finding those songs that have the desired effect and compiling them, which is interactive for both the person who made the playlist and the person who will receive it. 

Shelby Campbell is a freshman studying journalism and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Shelby know by tweeting her @bloodbuzzohioan.