Members of Athens City Council during council's meeting on Jan. 16. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss 'Protect the Bobcat' resolution

Athens City Council members will discuss a one-reading resolution to oppose a rule that would let hunters trap and kill bobcats native to Ohio.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife's proposed rule would allow for the trapping and killing of the bobcat if the trapper has the bobcat trapping permit, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resource Division of Wildlife’s website.  

The resolution would provide permanent protection over the species. 

City council members will also discuss authorizing the mayor to accept a grant for the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council Energized Community Grant.

NOPEC requirements state the grant must be used for energy efficiency infrastructure projects. 

Council members will also discuss authorizing the city to accept public donations for the new city pool. 

Several aesthetic items had to be eliminated from the pool’s design because it exceeded the budget. About $50,000 to $60,000 worth of items were removed that could be added back in with donations, according to a previous Post report

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said three different entities have offered to donate a collective $15,000 for those items. 

One of the items that was eliminated from the design was a decorative fence. The original plan had the 8-foot aluminum fencing surrounding the pool. A wrought iron gate with the same motif as security grates at The Ridges was also removed from the final design for the pool. 

“These are items that hold a lot of aesthetic value for a pool that we hope sticks around for another 40 years,” Patterson said in that previous Post report.

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu