Ohio University's Jacob Houston (middle) and Jake Faiella (right) go against John Carroll's John McMahon (left) for the puck at Ohio University's Bird Arena on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. (FILE)

Hockey: Faiella lands professional start with Macon Mayhem

Senior defenseman Jake Faiella played his last game for Ohio in the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s National Tournament in a disappointing overtime loss.

Fortunately for Faiella, the overtime loss wouldn’t be the last game of his career, as he signed an amateur tryout agreement Monday with the Macon Mayhem of the Southern Professional Hockey League.

“I am extremely excited for the opportunity to play for the Macon Mayhem and to represent Ohio hockey at the next level,” Faiella said in a press release. “My teammates and coaches have been very supportive during this process and I am thankful for them.”

Faiella, who tallied 25 total points in his senior season, spent the last four years crafting and developing his game to possibly have a shot at a professional career.

His effort at Ohio was one of the first things coach Sean Hogan said about his former player.

“Jake’s earned it through the course of time,” Hogan said. “Not only is it a great opportunity for Jake, but it shows not only how great of a leader he was here, but the impact he left in his past.”

Faiella’s new coach, Kevin Kerr, coached Faiella while he played junior-level hockey and has followed Faiella’s career since their departure.

The defenseman is also reunited, of sorts, with former Ohio assistant coach Dan Bremner, who is the head coach of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu