Query a Queer: LGBTQ women and Women's History Month

How can we include LGBTQ+ identifying women into women’s history month?

Women’s History Month is about the celebration of women and their achievements. However, it is easy for the celebration to become exclusive to white cisgendered heterosexual identifying women. That is not to say that there are not great women who have achieved great things while identifying as such, but society should work towards promoting all minorities that are a part of the daily struggle towards equality and greatness as well! That can be done by simply recognizing that all women deserve equality and recognition for their work. That means trans women, black women, disabled women, Hispanic women, lesbian women and every other hard-working woman out there. Keep working it ladies.

How can I personally make a difference towards this change?

All change starts by doing research! Be sure that the icons and sources of information that you are supporting are not exclusionary. There are many wonderful women who do not get recognized when juxtaposed with privilege. Acknowledge that it is easy to overlook a lack of diversity when said lack does not pertain to your own identities. Not to mention, there are institutionalized ideas of classism, racism, homophobia, ableism, transphobia and other forces that help to divide and hide greatness. Recognize when a source may be a manifestation of these ideas and do not support it.

Have questions? We have answers! Send your questions via email to lgbt@ohio.edu and/or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com; via Tumblr (oulgbtcenter); via Twitter to @oulgbtcenter with hashtag #qaqueer; or post/message to Facebook (oulgbtcenter). So bring it on, do it to it and query a queer.