Liz Backo

From the Editor's Desk: ‘Post’ staff trains new editors for next year

As The Post staff continues working hard to put out our paper each week for the rest of Spring Semester, we are also working hard to plan for next year. With a majority of our staff transitioning into new roles, we have a chance to reflect on this year and determine how next year can be even better.

We also do our best to make the next few weeks a learning experience. Some staff members will be editing the print edition of The Post for the first time, while others are figuring out how we use social media or code landing pages.

We will have conversations about what has worked well, what has not worked at all and what we wish we could have achieved in our roles. We would love to get feedback from Post readers about what they liked and disliked. Is there more coverage you want to see more consistently? Is there a topic that deserves more recognition? Maybe you just know a really neat person in Athens that we should feature, or maybe you just hope to see more podcasts next year. Please reach out and let us know.

Even though the staff changes every year, we try to create the best content that we possibly can so our readers are entertained and well-informed. Next year’s editors will kick off the year with the annual Orientation Guide, which is published at the end of May and given to all incoming Ohio University students.

Because we’re all learning, planning and preparing together, right now is a great time to join The Post. As I mentioned before, next year’s editor-in-chief, Lauren Fisher, has some great ideas she is looking forward to implementing — but first she has to hire on a new staff. In past years, we’ve had people join The Post staff during the end of Spring Semester, and those people always bring in new and interesting ideas that the staff can plan for the in the coming year.

Though I, along with about 20 other seniors, am graduating, we all want to see The Post succeed next year in every way possible. Let us know what The Post can do better, and, if you can, join The Post and help the staff do some incredible things next year.

Elizabeth Backo is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. What should The Post change next year? Tell her at eb823313@ohio.edu or send her a tweet at @liz_backo.