A Teacher First

03.08.18

Patton's female dean discusses journey through higher education

Ashton Nichols / Staff Writer

Patton College of Education Dean Renee Middleton has always been a teacher at heart.

Middleton is the only African-American dean at Ohio University and became the only female dean after Elizabeth Sayrs, who was the dean of University College and associate provost for undergraduate education, moved into the role of the interim executive vice president and provost.

“I learned a long time ago to approach life this way: I have, all my life, been a woman, all my life, been a person of color or a member of an underrepresented group,” Middleton said. “I have learned how to move through the world and not allow other people’s problems to become my problem. I think the challenge when I came here was not for me, because I had figured out how to function in a world where people would seek to limit me because of characteristics that I have.”

When Middleton began her college career, however, she wanted to be an audiologist.

Following her path in audiology, she decided it was time for her doctoral degree. She attended Auburn University to study rehabilitation administration.

All of those disciplines were housed in colleges of education, which Middleton said is part of her upbringing in education.

“I didn’t start out to be a dean of education,” Middleton said. “Obviously, that wasn’t in my thinking.”

Renee Middleton

Blake Nissen | PHOTO EDITOR

Renee Middleton, dean of the Patton College of Education, poses for a portrait in her office on March 5.

Middleton said she came “through the ranks” at Auburn and was promoted from an assistant to a full professor. She established her career as a counselor educator, then decided to take on an administrative role, becoming an associate dean for research and graduate studies at Auburn University.

“I enjoyed supporting faculty in their initiatives and thinking from a larger perspective about the role of colleges of education through my administrative work,” Middleton said. “I decided that I wanted to become a dean of education, where I could have more influence on the direction to take a comprehensive college of education.”

In 2006, Middleton became the dean of the Patton College of Education. She said she still continues with her research and scholarship because she enjoys it.

“I do think that for me to be an effective dean, it’s important for me to stay engaged in the role and work that faculty do,” Middleton said. “I do keep with my scholarship. I keep with my outreach or service. My teaching is done in different ways.”

Ivy Crockron, executive assistant to the dean, described Middleton as driven, focused and always on the move.

“Sometimes, it’s hard to keep up with her,” Crockron said.

As an educator, Middleton said, it is a privilege to work with and support students and faculty.

“To me, the biggest compliment you can pay me is that I’m an educator,” Middleton said. “I feel like, as an educator, it is a privilege to have the opportunity to work with individuals to support them, to extend their knowledge base, to be an inquisitor, to understand history and legacy.”

“If I allow people to disrespect me, whether they do it unintentionally or intentionally … it’s not a disrespect for me — it’s a disrespect of my college, because I am the titular head of the college.”Renee Middleton, dean of the Patton College

Middleton said women should be thought of the same as their male counterparts.

“If I allow people to disrespect me, whether they do it unintentionally or intentionally … it’s not a disrespect for me — it’s a disrespect of my college, because I am the titular head of the college,” Middleton said.

Kimberly Barlag, who has worked with Middleton for four years as the Patton College’s director of communications and design management, said Middleton has high expectations for her staff, which is what pushes the college to be great.

“She cares very much about our region and hopes to elevate it with respects to quality educational opportunities for all,” Barlag said in an email. “And she is not afraid to take a stand and voice her opinions on sensitive topics. ... A good leader is one who helps you be the best version of yourself, and that’s Dean Renee A. Middleton.”

Development by: Megan Knapp / For The Post

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.