Athens County Sheriff's Office Lt. Aaron Maynard works during 14Fest in 2016. (FILE)

Man carried airsoft gun to avoid pitbulls; women had large amount of money stolen from purse

Sometimes dogs are not a man’s best friend. 

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to Eighth Street in Jacksonville on April 7 for a report of a man with a gun. 

Deputies spoke with a man in the area who said he had an airsoft gun with him due to many reports of “vicious pitbulls in the area,” according to the sheriff’s report. Deputies checked the air gun and confirmed it was not an actual firearm.

The suspected neighbor

The sheriff’s office was called to North Akron Avenue for an incident report on April 9.

The caller said his neighbors had security cameras facing in the direction of his house, according to the sheriff’s report. The caller showed deputies the location of the cameras and the deputies explained to him that the cameras were pointed towards the public roadway and there was nothing criminal about the location of the cameras. 

High dollar burglary

The sheriff’s office responded to Crestview Drive on April 9 about a burglary complaint. 

The caller stated that someone had entered her home and removed an orange-colored  handbag with approximately $6,000 to $7,000 inside, according to the sheriff’s report. The burglar allegedly came through the unlocked front door. 

Needle pick-up

The sheriff’s office was dispatched on April 5 to a New Marshfield Road residence on a report of trash and needles found on a driveway. 

Deputies collected the needles to be disposed of and found a small amount of meth and collected it as well, according to the sheriff’s report. 

Tree Technicality

The sheriff’s office responded to a report of people trespassing and cutting trees on a property in the New England area April 8. 

When deputies arrived and spoke to everyone involved, there were discrepancies as to whom actually owned the property the trees were on, according to the sheriff’s report. 

Deputies told the people that a survey should be completed prior to any more trees being cut. 

Four-wheeler flip

The sheriff’s office responded to State Route 356 on April 4 to assist EMS on a possible vehicle crash.

The original 911 call stated a Vinton County man was involved in an accident of some sort, according to the sheriff’s report. Deputies met with EMS, who found the man at his residence. 

He said he had rolled his four-wheeler and wanted medical treatment. The four-wheeler was found off of the roadway and no one else was involved. EMS then transported the man to OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital for treatment. 

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu