Dug, a therapy dog named after the movie Up, gets petted by students on the fourth floor of Alden Library on April 26. (FILE)

Five things to do to destress before finals

Finals week is a stressful time full of cramming, studying and pulling all-nighters. The final week of school can be a tiring one for many people, but there are activities to do around campus for students to enjoy and help them unwind before their big exams. Here are five things students can take advantage of around Ohio University to destress before finals:

Take a group fitness class at Ping

Ping Center offers a variety of free fitness classes to OU students. You can relax and restore your mind and body with yoga or shake things up with kickboxing to get your blood pumping. Whether you just need to take some time to slow down or blow off some steam before or after an exam, a group fitness class is the way to go.

See a movie at the Athena Grand

Sometimes all you need is to sit down, eat some popcorn and watch a good movie. The Athena Grand charges $5 a ticket, so there's no breaking the bank. It’s a nice, cheap way to unwind, and getting off campus during such a stressful time can be a well-needed breather. You can check out showtimes here

Finals by Alden

Alden Library hosts a series of activities and events the last two weeks of the academic year for students to come and check out. The library offers therapy dog sessions and button-making classes to help students take their minds off of the stresses from school. Sometimes students can find free food and coffee to recharge for a night full of studying. Here is the full schedule of events.  

Stargaze at Radar Hill

One of the more simple and relaxing things to do is look up at the stars. Radar Hill is Athens’ highest point, so one can imagine how many viewable stars cover the night sky. Radar Hill is located on The Ridges Trail.  Kicking back and taking in the view is a quiet and peaceful way to forget about finals for a night. 

Get some frozen custard

When the studying gets to be too much, ice cream is a great escape from all that stress, and the next best thing to ice cream is frozen custard. Whit’s Frozen Custard, 49 S. Court St., is the perfect place to grab a cold treat and take a break with some friends. Something sweet to eat hits the spot during a not-so-sweet time. 

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu