Ohio's Ty Black slides into second base during the Bobcats' game against Butler on March 24. (FILE)

Baseball: Ohio loses 6-3 on the road against Dayton in midweek game

Ohio gave up five runs in the bottom of the third inning Tuesday in its 6-3 road loss against Dayton. 

The Bobcats scored two runs in the top of the ninth as they tried to cut the lead. Ohio was down 6-1 heading into the ninth inning, its only run from Aaron Levy; Levy scored off a sacrifice fly from Rudy Rott in the top of the second. 

In the top of the ninth with two outs, Rott hit an RBI single to left center, and Sebastian Fabik scored. After Rott’s RBI single, Tanner Piechnick advanced to second after reaching on an error from Flyers right fielder Connor Wilson. Rott scored as Piechnick reached on the error. 

With Piechnick on second, Michael Klein came up to bat, but he struck out for the final out of the game. The Bobcats finished the game with five hits, and Rott led the team with two. 

Redshirt freshman pitcher Cole Shinsky got the start on the mound, his fifth start of the season. Shinsky gave up three earned runs and five hits in two innings of work. Nick Kamrada came in to relieve Shinsky, and he gave up two earned runs and two hits in two innings. 

Along with Shinsky and Kamrada, Logan Jacik, Derek Carr and Alex Kuster threw as well. Jacik gave up two hits and struck out four batters, the most any Bobcats pitcher threw against the Flyers. 

The Bobcats’ pitching staff allowed nine hits, but their two walks were important. Coach Rob Smith stressed not allowing free bases. Smith wants his pitchers to make opposing batters work, and that’s what Ohio’s pitchers have done. 

During the Kent State series, the Bobcats allowed 13 total walks, and when Ohio played Eastern Michigan, it allowed eight total walks. 

Still, the Bobcats’ offense is still working to return to their previous form. The Bobcats didn’t score a run against the Flyers from the third inning through the eighth inning. They went through a hitting lull near the end as they didn’t tally a hit from the fifth inning through the eighth inning. 

The Bobcats will play Miami on the road this weekend, with first pitch on Friday slated for 5 p.m. Ohio is tied for sixth in the Mid-American Conference with Ball State, and the Redhawks are ranked second in the MAC behind Kent State. 

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu