Ohio's Alexa Holland warms up before she bats during Ohio's game against Akron on April 13. The Bobcats beat the Zips 8-0 in the first game of a double header.

Softball: Ohio to play a midweek doubleheader against in-state foe Ohio State

Fresh off its third three-game Mid-American Conference sweep on the season, Ohio will take a break from conference play with a doubleheader against Ohio State on Tuesday.

The games are scheduled to begin at 5 and 7 p.m at Buckeye Field. 

Expectations are high for the Bobcats after a hot start in conference play. They are currently tied for the MAC lead with Toledo. Ohio expects to see a team like Ohio State later in the season, and will use Tuesday’s games to prepare for that.

“We’re going to see that level team at regionals,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “It’s going to help us prepare for that part of the season.”

The Ohio State Report

The Buckeyes (26-10, 7-6 Big Ten) sit in the middle of their conference. They’re coming off two losses to Northwestern over the weekend. Before the Northwestern series, however, Ohio State had won six games in a row. 

Leading the way at the plate is junior Lilli Piper. She is hitting .424 with 16 home runs and 46 RBIs. The Buckeyes have another hitter with double-digit homers, senior Shelby McCombs. She is hitting .347 with 10 home runs.

McCombs also pitches for Ohio State. She is 11-3 with a 2.98 ERA. Also leading the way in the circle for the Buckeyes is junior Morgan Ray. She leads the team with a 2.35 ERA. She has 118 strikeouts.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu