The exterior of the future home of Qdoba on East State Street on March 27.

Qdoba to open on East State Street in May

A new Qdoba location was announced at the beginning of summer 2017 and will have a grand opening in May.

Qdoba, a Mexican food chain, will open May 1 at 859 E. State St., which used to be home to Abrio’s Vera Cucina, Matt Herridge, owner of the franchise, said. 

The new location was scheduled to open last fall, according to a previous Post report. Construction timelines pushed the opening date back, Herridge said.

“What happens is with most of these new builds, if there is a lease going on, the leasing party usually waits until the space is ready by the landlords,” he said. “Then we are able to take that over and finish out the interior.”

The Athens location is now hiring. 

“We do have our manager in place now, and we are actively looking for assistant managers and crew members,” he said. “Our hope would be that we would have 40 or more people.”

Even though the grand opening will be during finals week at Ohio University and many students will potentially be leaving campus during that time, Herridge has little concerns for his new restaurant.

“I would have liked it to be open a little bit earlier, but that’s just how things go,” Herridge said. “We think this restaurant will be great, not only for the student population, but the community as well. We think the location is really (accessible) to both of those groups.”

Sara Jablonski, a sophomore studying public health, doesn't think the grand opening being same week as finals week will be an issue for the restaurant.

"Maybe people will go there after finals and treat themselves from all the studying," she said.

Before the grand opening, Herridge plans to have another special event called “Sneak Peaks.” That event will occur the weekend before the official opening, and the restaurant will invite certain target groups, he said. The event will give people a preview of the menu.

“Our prime (targets) are first responders, the fire department and the police department, but we are also inviting other community groups. A retirement facility, other businesses in the general area, as well as other city groups," he said.

Jillian Mueller, a freshman studying marketing management and strategic leadership, has never had Qdoba and doesn't think she will try it.

"I don't spend money on food off campus," she said. "I am already spending so much with my meal plan."

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu