Next season, Ohio football will be without linebacker Quentin Poling, who played in 50 games as a Bobcat and holds the team records in career solo tackles (221) and career tackles for loss (44.0). (FILE)

Football: Linebackers working hard this spring to replace graduated talent

Eric Popp has always dreamt of playing in the NFL. It has been the linebacker’s goal since before he got to Ohio, and he’s clinging to that goal. 

Now a junior, Popp’s been on the same practice field as a linebacker that has taken the next step and made it to the NFL and another that is about to. After Popp’s freshman year, Blair Brown was selected in the NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. After last season, Quentin Poling started the draft process, and fellow linebacker Chad Moore graduated.

Although the Bobcats have lost multiple talented linebackers over the last two years, they’ll look to reload at the position; that starts in spring practice.

“It’s really good that a lot of the younger guys are getting a lot more reps,” Popp said. “Poling and Chad are obviously gone. The younger guys are looking up to us.”

Popp has been one of the leaders for the linebackers this spring. Without returning starter Evan Croutch, who isn’t going through spring practice, Ohio will need to fill the hole left by Poling, the Bobcats all-time leader in tackles and tackles for loss.

Popp and teammate Dylan Conner, along with others, have stepped into those roles and earned key reps as linebackers coach Ron Collins breaks young players into the system.

It’s not always easy teaching younger players; Collins admits that. It takes a level of patience that isn’t needed while coaching veterans who know the signals, concepts and dynamics. That patience is tested when Collins, who is known as the most intense coach on the staff, becomes frustrated with his young platoon. But that’s not a problem.

“Every once in a while, it’s good to get a kick in the ass,” Popp said.

It’s not always frustration, though. Collins can easily name guys who have impressed him so far this spring. Jared Dorsa, T.J. Robinson, Austin Clack joined Conner and Popp on that list of linebackers for the spring. Collins likes what he sees.

The only issue with the current roster is depth. With the talented losses from the past, it’s hard to keep linebackers stocked on the depth chart. Those names Collins cited could help secure that depth come fall camp.

Collins knows good defenders when he sees them; he’s coached Brown and Poling, and he’s been part of the Ohio defensive staff that coached now Indianapolis Colts defensive end Tarell Basham. Collins has had success in developing talent, which will be needed as Popp, Conner and the linebacking corp look to replace the pros.

“The guys that are in those first two groups have gotten close to 400 reps this spring,” Collins said. “That’s huge for them.”

Developing talent once the players get to Ohio is important, but the linebackers can’t be taught by Collins if they don’t come to Athens. Collins has found success on the recruiting trail, and some of that can be linked to coaching linebackers that have found homes on NFL rosters.

Most players being recruited want to see a path for them to live their dream of getting to the NFL. With the recent success of linebackers at Ohio, the recruiting pitch is now available for Collins and the coaching staff. It has proof and a track record of providing players with a feasible path to the NFL Draft.

Once they get to Ohio, linebackers have to face a coaching staff that demands a near-perfect work ethic to have an opportunity at the next level.

Popp has two years of eligibility left, and he’s working to become the next linebacker that Collins and the coaching staff can use as a recruiting tactic.

“It just gives everyone a little hope to see guys that you play with every single day go out there and being able to get their chance,” Popp said. “It gives you hope for the future and makes you work even harder.”

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu