Emily Lamb, a sophomore studying public health, shovels debris at the Dairy Barn Art Center on April 9th, 2017 as part of Athens Beautification Day. Lamb was one of 938 students who registered to volunteer.

Weekender Briefs: 7th Race for a Reason to take place; celebrate Earth Day with events around town

Friday  

April Clothing Swaps at noon at the Schoonover Center. Thread Magazine is hosting its weekly clothing swap throughout April at the lobby of Schoonover Center and the top of Baker Center. Pay $1 to swap old clothing or $2 to shop for new clothes. 

Wags, Wine and Whiskers Benefit Evening at 4 p.m. at Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St. Local animal rescue New Beginnings Animal Center is hosting a night filled with music at Athens Uncorked where $1 per glass of wine and $5 per bottle purchased will be donated to the rescue center. There is also a Wine and Canvas session as part of the event and people can sign up on the event’s Facebook page. Admission is free, but the Wine and Canvas session costs $30 per person. 

A Little Night Music at 8 p.m. at The Ridges Auditorium. Ohio Opera Theater presents A Little Night Music with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by Hugh Wheeler. The musical will also be performed Saturday at The Ridges Auditorium. Admission is $10.  

Freekbass with Hellnaw at 9 p.m. at Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina, 6 W. State St. Join the two Ohio-based bands as they play a joint funk music concert and take over Casa Nueva. Admission is $7 in advance or $9 at the door. 

Saturday

OhioHealth Race for a Reason at 7 a.m. at Walter Fieldhouse. The annual OhioHealth Race for a Reason will return for its seventh year. Sign up to run in the triathlon, 5K, mud run, 3K walk or remote race on campus to support fundraising efforts. Learn more about each individual run on the event’s website

Fashion Revolution Event at 1 p.m. at the Arts/WEST, 132 W. State St. The educational event will highlight ethical fashion and exploring alternatives to fast fashion featuring a style demonstration by Get Real Image and a pop-up shop from the Coral Marie Collection. Admission is free. 

Bulls on Parade with Electric Funeral at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W Union St. Bulls on Parade will perform music from Rage Against the Machine while Electric Funeral will be playing a tribute to Black Sabbath. Admission is $5 for ages 18 to 20 and $3 for ages 21 and above. 

Sunday 

Earth Day at White’s Mill at 1 p.m. at White’s Mill, 2 Whites Mill Drive. Hocking Valley Bank is partnering with White’s Mill to celebrate Earth Day 2018. There will be a children’s planting station, face painting and many other activities for children to enjoy. Admission is free. 

Earth Day Sound Workshop at 1 p.m. at Bodhi Tree Guesthouse and Studio, 8950 Lavelle Road. The studio will host a workshop on toning, a healing system that uses vowel sounds to alter vibrations in the body and create a greater flow of energy. Laura Parrotti, a retired associate professor in OU Division of Theater will lead the workshop. Admission is $25 and tickets are available to purchase on the studio’s website

Earth Day Social Bike Ride at 2 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Little Fish is hosting a social bike ride on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. The ride will begin at the east side parking lot of the Athens Community Center and will end at Little Fish. Admission is free. 

Love and Bananas: An Elephant Story at 3 p.m. at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. For one night, the Athena will show the documentary about elephant rescues in Thailand. Admission is $7. 

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu