Alden Library Study Spots

05.31.18

A guide to finding a study spot in Alden Library

Taylor Johnston / For The Post

Alden Library is about to become your best friend. With seven different floors, it can be quite difficult finding the perfect spot. Here are some tips to help you find a spot to cram for an exam or work on a project with classmates:

First Floor

This floor is perfect if you want to book a study room or are looking for secluded place to work on schoolwork. The first floor allows a mixture of whispering and no noise at all, and there are also individual spaces where students can claim and lock themselves in a personal cubicle. Computers are also available.

Second Floor

This floor is ideal if you’re looking to work on a group project or snag a quick bite to eat from Cafe Bibliotech before heading back to your study session. Quiet conversation is allowed, and there is plenty of seating to choose from. If you need a computer, the second floor has many. This floor has a help desk, too.

Thrid Floor

The third floor is comparable to the first floor — it’s a mix of a silent and quiet space to get work done. There are group study rooms and also computers to work at.

Fourth Floor

If you are looking to check out a book, then the fourth floor is the place to do this. Computers are available, as well as group study rooms and a “silent room.” This floor is also home to the “egg chairs,” which provide a great studying experience without distractions.

Kevin Pan | SLOT EDITOR

The Reading Room of the Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections is located on the 5th floor of Alden Library.

Fifth Floor

The fifth floor is also comparable to the first and third floors — the only difference is that computers are not available.

Sixth Floor and Seventh Floor

These floors are also known as “the stacks” because of the many shelves that house Ohio University theses and other dissertations. If you’re looking for a completely silent place to do their work, these floors are perfect. There is a wide range of seating, such as tables that allow multiple seating or personal desks that allow for minimal distractions with walls on each side. There is also a nice view of the campus (which can sometimes be distracting).

Correction: A previous photo caption misidentified the Reading Room of the Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections. It has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.