Athens Outings

05.31.18

6 outdoor hotspots to visit around Athens

Baylee DeMuth / For The Post

One of the best parts about Athens is the beautiful area that surrounds it. Ohio University students and Athens residents alike have many opportunities to get outside and enjoy the nature around them. No matter what season it is in Athens, there’s always something to do outdoors.

Hockhocking Adena Bikeway

The bike path is located along the bank of the Hocking River and runs past campus. It’s a great place for walking and running, riding a bike or even rollerblading. The pathway also features cherry blossom trees near The Convo that one could find a pretty sight. The bike path is 21 miles long.

The Ridges

The Ridges offers a variety of outdoor activities one can do. There are four distinct hiking trails at The Ridges: the Ridges Trail, Athens Trail, River Valley Nature Walk and Ridges Cemetery Nature Walk. Each one has its own distinct experience. Along with the trails, the university offers ziplining, campfires and stargazing at The Ridges throughout the school year.

Strouds Run State Park

Strouds Run State Park is a great place for boating, fishing and hiking. It’s the perfect location to get outdoors and have fun with some friends. It’s a very scenic, forested area full of flowering plants and thriving wildlife that one should check out. The park even has sledding and cross-country skiing in the winter.

Sells Park

Sells Park is a hidden treasure of Athens. It’s tucked away just a few blocks off of East State Street, and it offers great hiking trails that overlook campus and the hills of Athens County. Sells Park is a biking favorite because of its easily accessible trails from OU.

Bong Hill

Bong Hill is a quick little hike away that gives people one of the more scenic views of the campus. The hike itself is pretty short, but there are a few rocks to climb to get to the peak of Bong Hill. The minor rock climbing takes visitors to a picture-perfect view where one can watch the sun set over OU.

Wayne National Forest

Emma Howells | FOR THE POST

The Columbus Dispatch recently reported that a bike trail will be added through Wayne National Forest, viewed here from the Snake Ridge Lookout Tower at the Wayne National Forest Headquarters & Athens Ranger Station on October 31, 2016.

Wayne National Forest is a short drive from campus. With more than a quarter of a million acres of land, the forest includes more than 300 miles of trails for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. There are many outdoor excursions to do with friends at Wayne National Forest if one desires to go off campus.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.