Dorm Food

05.31.18

7 foods to make in your dorm room

Baylee DeMuth / For The Post

Ohio University students are given meal swipes to use primarily for the dining halls, but sometimes getting out of bed and walking a good distance just for a meal is too much work. Nevertheless, everyone needs to eat, so whether you’re too lazy to walk outside or the weather is bad and you’re stuck in your dorm room, here are seven quick and easy foods you can make:

Mac and cheese

Microwaveable mac and cheese is about as common as ramen noodle packets in a dorm room nowadays. In less than five minutes, you’re enjoying a delicious and cheesy bowl of mac and cheese. It’s a simple food that doesn’t take a lot of time and energy to prepare, so it’s perfect for when you’re feeling extra lazy.

Hannah Ruhoff | PHOTO EDITOR

One of the easiest to make dorm foods, microwavable mac and cheese.

Omelette in a mug

For all the omelette-lovers out there, it’s possible to even make that in a dorm room. An omelette in a mug can be as plain or as fancy as you want by adding different ingredients like diced vegetables or small pieces of meat. Eggs are a healthy food, so making an omelette in a mug is a wise choice when you’re looking for a good source of protein. Here is how you can make an omelette in a mug.

Pizza quesadilla

A pizza quesadilla takes a little more preparation than simpler dorm foods, but you won’t regret it. For those who want to spend more time preparing their food, this dish is a good place to start. Layering tortillas, sauce, cheese and whatever other toppings you would like and a pizza quesadilla is made. This dish requires a bit more ingredients, but being able to make your own pizza in a dorm room is pretty cool. This recipe gives you step-by-step instructions.

Baked sweet potato

There are many microwaveable sweet potatoes sold at grocery stores, so it only makes sense that they’re made into a meal. You can eat the sweet potato by itself or add a few toppings to enhance its taste. Melted butter is a common topping, but you can customize it to your taste buds. Here is how to steam a sweet potato in the microwave.

Ramen noodles

Ramen noodles as a dorm food sounds like a no-brainer, but it doesn’t just have to be noodles and the flavoring packet. The taste of ramen noodles can become dull real quick, so don’t be afraid to add a few other ingredients to mix things up. You can add all sorts of things to instant ramen like frozen vegetables, spam, sriracha sauce and a variety of spices if you’re up to it. It’s time to reinvent ramen, and it starts in the dorm room. Here’s a list of possible ingredients to add to your ramen.

Peanut butter sandwich

You can’t get more simple than a peanut butter sandwich. To add a little more flavor, there are ingredients like honey, bananas, avocados or even pickles that add something else to a plain peanut butter sandwich. The options are endless. Unlike many dorm foods, this one does not require a microwave, making it a very quick and easy choice for a meal.

Mug cake

Sometimes something sweet could really hit the spot late at night, and a mug cake does just that. Not every dorm food has to be a meal or a healthy meal at that. Dessert food is still food, and after a long day of classes, being able to enjoy a sweet treat is a great way to end the day. Here is a recipe for a s’mores mug cake.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.