This is Weird

05.31.18

College gets weird, but enjoy it

Chuck Greenlee / Opinion Editor

I walked across the stage at Green High School, was handed my diploma and gave a hug to my then-girlfriend who handed me a graduation rose on stage. It was a cute moment, the crowd “aww-ed” and that was that. I was officially a high school graduate, just like you. The next morning at 6 a.m., my dad and I got into his car and made our way to Athens for orientation.

After getting to Athens at about 9:30 a.m., I had forgotten three papers I needed. I forgot my driver’s license and what I wanted to change my major to (It was communications studies. I changed my major four times freshman year. I ended up back in communications studies, my dad was so mad).

My collegiate career was off to a great start. My dad, understandably vexed with my forgetfulness, huffed and puffed until everything was sorted out. I started biting my nails, as I always do when I am a little bit anxious, and then everything ended up being OK right as blood started to make its way through the cuticles of my thumb.

If you’re reading this I assume you might be a little anxious too.

Orientation is scary. For roughly 30 hours, you get a whiff of what the next four years may be. Here’s the catch: It isn’t at all what it will be. Not in the slightest. Your hand isn’t held after your loved ones drive away from helping you move in this August, and there isn’t a tight schedule you’re on. It’s just you. I spent my first night of college alone in Tanaka 325 watching cat videos. I wouldn’t have done any other way.

But that’s a few months from now. Right now you’re just worried about what orientation is. And it’s great that you decided to pick up a copy of The Post or visit our website. So as someone who is a cynical senior, I just want to let you know what to expect over your first 30 hours here.

You’ll get lost. It’s cool to do that, though. Get lost, and you will end up finding something cool by accident. You will also probably have an existential crisis while you’re here. That’s totally OK, and it’s completely normal. Your first few months here are super confusing and weird – c’est la vie. Try to make friends, too. I can’t remember a single person from my orientation group. I think I see this one person from time to time who I sat next to through the whole thing, but we never spoke.

He is the closest friend I have made here.

Jokes aside, as you are confused and trying to figure out how to read a DARS, just remember that this whole college thing gets easier, and it also gets harder. That’s the whole point of why you’re here. This isn’t an easy time, it’s confusing and sweaty and dumb sometimes, but as cliché as it is, it’s the best time of your life. So please, enjoy it.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.