Who to Know

05.31.18

Who to know at OU and in Athens

Ellen Wagner / Asst. News Editor

Before getting to campus in the fall, familiarize yourself with the leaders who shape Ohio University and Athens.

President Duane Nellis

Twitter: @OHIOPrezOffice
Office: Cutler 108

Meagan Hall | FOR THE POST

Ohio University President Duane Nellis speaks with multiple publications during a RoundTable meeting on December 4th, 2017.

Duane Nellis was inaugurated as the 21st president of OU in October. Before coming to OU, he served as the president of Texas Tech University from 2013 to 2016 and the University of Idaho from 2009 to 2013. He also served as a provost and senior vice president at Kansas State University and the dean of Eberly College of Arts and Sciences at West Virginia University.

Nellis received his bachelor’s degree in earth sciences and geography at Montana State University in 1976. He also received his master’s and doctoral degrees from Oregon State University in geography in 1977 and 1980, respectively. He is recognized nationally and internationally for his research with satellite data and geographic information systems to analyze various dimensions of Earth’s land service.

Jason Pina

Twitter: @jbpina
Office: Cutler 212

Beginning his third academic year at OU, Jason Pina serves as the vice president of student affairs. He oversees the intellectual and personal development of the students at OU, which includes oversight of professional and graduate-level staff, undergraduate student employees and an annual operating budget of $62 million.

Jenny Hall-Jones

Twitter: @JennyHallJones
Office: Baker 345

Jenny Hall-Jones serves as the associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students at OU. Since 2013, she works for the administrative operation for several student affairs departments.

Her involvement at OU as a student led her to work with students for her career. Hall-Jones graduated from OU with a bachelor’s degree in sociology with an emphasis in criminology, a master’s in college student personnel and a doctoral degree in higher education.

Steve Patterson

Twitter: @MayorPatterson
Office: Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St.

Oliver Hamlin | FOR THE POST

Athens Mayor, Steve Patterson, poses for a portrait on Court Street on September 10, 2015.

Steve Patterson has served as Athens’ mayor since November 2015. Before becoming mayor, he was a city council member and an associate professor at OU.

Patterson oversees eight boards and commissions as mayor, including Board of Control, Board of Zoning and Planning Commission.

Christine Knisely

descutner

Mijana Masure | FOR THE POST

Chris Knisely poses for a portrait in Athens, Ohio.

Chris Knisley serves as the president of Athens City Council. She has served on the city council for 10 years and became president in 2015.

The council has seven members and form the legislative power of Athens. Council meets every first and third Wednesday at 7 p.m. on the third floor of the Athens City Building.

Maddie Sloat

Twitter: @madfox16
Office: Baker 305

Maddie Sloat is the incoming Student Senate president at OU. In April, the unopposed Bridge Ohio ticket won the Student Senate elections. Sloat was elected along with Vice President Hannah Burke and Treasurer Lydia Ramlo.

Student Senate meets every Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. in Walter 235.

Tom Pyle

Office: Athens Police Department, 11 N. College St.

Tom Pyle is the police chief of the Athens Police Department. APD is responsible for enforcing the law in Athens and providing security at events like Halloween and fests.

Andrew Powers

Twitter: @oupolice
Office: Ohio University Police Department, Scott Quad 135

Andrew Powers is the police chief at the Ohio University Police Department. OUPD oversees law enforcement and security on OU’s campus.

Rodney Smith

Office: Athens County Sheriff’s Office, 13 W. Washington St.

Blake Nissen | PHOTO EDITOR

Sheriff Rodney - Sheriff Rodney Smith poses for a portrait in his office on September 8, 2016

Rodney Smith has served as Athens County sheriff since April 2014. He has worked in many aspects of the department throughout his 30 year career in Athens, including a corrections officer, sergeant and lieutenant.

As the Athens County sheriff, he works to solve problems in Athens Country, with a focus on property crimes and drug abuse. He also is dedicated to bringing community members together to solve problems in Athens County.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.