A person rolls a joint outside of Seigfred Hall. Various groups in and around Athens are working to decriminalize marijuana in Ohio. (FILE)

Athens is an approved site for a medical marijuana dispensary

There could be a medical marijuana dispensary by the end of the year at 711 W. Union St. called Harvest of Ohio, LLC.

The Ohio State Board of Pharmacy approved 56 medical marijuana provisional dispensary licenses Monday after reviewing and scoring 376 applications.

Dr. Matthew DiDonato, from Tempe, Arizona, received the provisional license for Harvest of Ohio. He is the treasurer and director of Harvest Inc. and a co-founder of the Medical Marijuana Research Institute.

With a provisional license, participants are authorized to begin the process of establishing a dispensary. They have six months to demonstrate compliance with the dispensary operational requirements to obtain a certificate of operation, according to the State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy website. 

There are 31 dispensary districts across the state and Harvest of Ohio is the only approved dispensary in the Southeast-6 district. 

The board will be able to approve additional licenses after Sept. 8 depending on demand. 

According to the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program website, certified physicians can recommend medical marijuana to patients with qualifying medical conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, post-traumatic stress disorder, AIDS, positive status for HIV and epilepsy. 

Patients are not permitted to have more than a 90-day supply of medical marijuana at once.

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu