A mountain lion was caught snoozing in an Oregon home on July 8. (via Lauren Taylor on Facebook).

Fun News Friday: Mountain lion naps in Oregon home; jolly gathering in Denmark brings together 150 Santas

Although July is coming to an end, there are still many things to smile about. From Christmas in July to comfort-seeking animals, here are some funny things that happened in the news this week:

King of the couch … I mean jungle 

Have you ever had a friend simply not want to leave your house, no matter how long they stayed past their welcome? 

On July 8, Lauren Taylor walked into her Oregon home to a surprise: a napping feline behind her couch. The catch is it was a mountain lion. The comfortable cat slept there for more than six hours, and when it awoke, it gave Taylor a loving gaze and quickly fell back asleep.

Taylor eventually lured the mountain lion out of the house using a drum beat but not before taking photos for Facebook. The post went viral with more than 27,000 shares and reactions.

Christmas in July 

Although the event known as Christmas in July began in 1933 at a girls’ summer camp in South Carolina, the idea for the quickly rubbed off on the rest of the world.

The 61st World Santa Claus Congress took place this week in Copenhagen, Denmark, where more than 150 delegates gathered from around the globe. 

At the congress, Santas participated in a parade to see a Little Mermaid statue and competed in the Santa Obstacle Course World Championships. Over the three days, Santas from Washington, D.C. to Japan were united through their shared love of cheer.

Fishy business

Picture this: you’re sitting on a boat off the coast of Cape Cod, it’s a beautiful July day and you have had a successful time catching fish. All of a sudden, you’re in a situation you would never expect. 

When Len Greiner, the captain of Adventure with Magellan Deep Sea Fishing Charters, was with his group of fishermen Wednesday, that is exactly how the day began. Until the most attractive catch of the day, a striped bass, caught the attention of a great white shark.

The 12-foot-long shark went all in to try to steal the bass. Instead, it got away with much more. Although the fishermen came out of the situation unscathed, they lost half of their catch for the day to the hungry great white.

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu