Athens residents and Ohio University students will now have better access to weather conditions and forecasts for the region with a new mobile-friendly website.

The Scalia Laboratory for Atmospheric Analysis' updated website allows for easier navigation on mobile and desktop platforms for those seeking up to date information on weather conditions in Athens and the region. 

“Scalia Lab gives our students invaluable hands-on experience that prepares them for a variety of careers, including forecasting for broadcast media and weather services,” Joseph Shields, Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said in a university press release.

The Scalia Laboratory, which is located on the top floor of Clippinger Laboratories, is a research facility that gives undergraduate meteorology students forecasting experience.

The website is the only weather service that offers Athens-specific forecasts and up-to-date weather conditions.

“The new website provides a fresh, clean, and streamlined look,” Dr. Ryan Fogt, the Scalia Lab Director said in a university press release. “You can access your weather information and forecast easily on your phone from our website, and the quality of all images, text, and data are not compromised when viewing on a smaller screen like a mobile or tablet.” 

The website was made by OU students and website designers at Red Tail Design Co., according to a university press release. Red Tail is owned and operated by OU alumnus Tim Martin and OU alumni Will Presley and Ben Wiebel developed the website.

“The development and growth of the Meteorology Department at OHIO inspired the team at Scalia Lab to present the idea of a new website to issue our products," Logan Clark, Associate Director of Scalia Lab and a senior studying geography and meteorology, said in a university press release.

Scalia Lab has its own Facebook and Twitter pages, which share forecasts and other weather-related information. Its phone number, 740-593-1717, offers a daily message recorded by a student forecaster.

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu