Athens coach Ryan Adams signals to the defense in the first half of the Bulldogs' game against Alexander on Sept. 15. Athens shut out Alexander 48-0. (FILE)

Athens Football: Athens routs Warren in season opener

Athens defensive back Logan Maxwell slowly backpedaled and waited patiently for his opportunity. Warren quarterback Brandon Simonette — off his back foot to avoid the pressure that was in his face all night — heaved the ball towards Athens’ sideline. Despite the ball sitting in the sky for what felt like minutes and the cluster of people waiting for the it to drop, Maxfield came down with it with one hand.

“I wasn’t expecting that,” Maxfield said. “I kind of just shifted back and just followed the ball.”

Maxfield, who had recorded another interception earlier in the game, wasn’t the only Bulldog to amaze themselves in Friday night's 51-26 blowout win over Warren. Each player seemed to record their own individual highlights.

The Bulldogs (1-0, 0-0 Tri-Valley Conference) haven't lost to Warren since 2010, and got on the board first when running back Evan Adams wedged himself between his own man and the Warriors defensive tackle for a 1-yard touchdown.

Adams, who ran for 92 yards and three touchdowns all in the first half, spearheaded an unstoppable ground attack for Athens. The Bulldogs total rushed for 313 yards and six touchdowns behind the trio of Adams, Nicholas Hawes and Corbin Stadler.

“We can win a lot of games when our rushing game is in order,” Adams said. “We have a great line who gets it done though and carries it out.”

Athens' offensive line was dominant all night. The holes it opened each play allowed Adams to get downhill faster and not have to make unnecessary cuts. But most importantly, the offensive line protected its quarterback, giving up zero sacks.

“My guys got my back,” senior quarterback Clay Davis said. “I wasn’t on my back one time, I’ll take that any day of the week.”  

But while the Bulldogs dominated on the ground, they struggled at times through the air. Davis threw two interceptions in the first half; one being returned 101 yards for Warren’s first touchdown of the game.

Luckily for Davis, the Bulldogs were already up 35.  

The game was sealed going into the half. Athens was already up 42-6. The Bulldogs came out of halftime and recorded a safety, then one more rushing touchdown before subbing in the younger guys and coasting.

For the third year in a row, Athens started its season off with a win.

This win is step one on Athens journey to the playoffs, a place they have not been since 2014. Last year’s 8-2 record would have been good enough for most teams, but a weak schedule was ultimately their downfall.

Warren, who’s lost 16 consecutive games, is not the type of opponent that will give Athens' resume the boost it may need for a bid to the postseason. Athens players and head coach Ryan Adams understand that they do not have the room for error that other schools may have, but they aren’t letting the pressure distract them.

“I don’t schedule football games,” Adams said. “I’m just a coach. I don’t have that kind of clout.”

The Bulldogs will travel to Proctorville on Friday to face Fairland (1-0). Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu