Back to athens

8/23/2018

9 things you might have missed doing in Athens this summer

Taylor Johnston / For The Post

After being in your hometown all summer, here are some things to do in Athens your first week back that you might have missed.

descutner

Megan Knapp | ILLUSTRATION

1. Check out the new restaurants on and near campus

Over the summer, Athens has acquired some new spots, including Steak ‘n Shake, 741 E. State St., and Qdoba, 859 E. State St. Go explore and find some new favorite places to eat.

2. Go see a movie at the Athena Grand

Grab some friends and find a movie you’ve been looking forward to seeing all summer.

3. Start a new routine at Ping

While sitting around all summer and not walking around campus and its hills, you might be out of shape. Come up with a new routine to implement into your new daily schedule before class starts.

4. Try a new bagel at Bagel Street Deli

descutner

Megan Knapp | ILLUSTRATION

With so many items to choose from on their menu, branch out and pick something different at Bagel Street Deli, 27 S. Court St.

5. Grab some cheese fries from O’Bettys

After hauling all your stuff back to Athens, treat yourself to some comfort food at O’Betty’s Red Hot, 15 W. State St.

6. Hammock on College Green

Grab your hammock and go find a new favorite spot to hang out on College Green. There are plenty of trees to choose from!

7. Go to a show at The Union

Bring some friends and discover some new music at The Union, 18 W. Union St. Check out theirwebsite to see what kinds of concerts will be happening.

descutner

Megan Knapp | ILLUSTRATION

8. Chill on one of the outside balconies of Baker Center

Grab a drink or snack from Front Room Coffeehouse and head outside and enjoy the weather while preparing for your new classes.

9. Visit a friend in their new house or apartment

Whether you’re new to OU or returning to campus, go make some new friends in your hall or go visit their new apartment or house.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.