Ohio University College Democrats logo

Democrats Discuss: On the midterms and the blue wave

Midterm elections are typically overlooked by the general population. This year, however, seems a bit atypical. The Democrats are fighting to take majority in both the House and Senate. 

House races across the country that should have been easy wins for the GOP have been a bit too close for comfort. Take Ohio’s 12th District special election, for example. The 12th has been held by a Republican since the 1980s. When that special election occurred between Troy Balderson, R, and Danny O’Connor, D, the race was extremely close. O’Connor only lost by 1,500 votes and he challenges Balderson again this November, meaning although O’Connor lost in August, because it was a special election, District 12 will be on the ballot again. It’s going to be an even closer race than before.

The 12th District is not the only red area threatening to turn blue. All across the United States, standard Republican areas are finding themselves in tight-knit races.

That’s not the only difference this election cycle. The Democratic party has more diverse candidates running than ever before. Ilhan Omar is running for Minnesota's 5th District, and she is the first ever Black Muslim woman to make it this far in a Congressional race. Sharice Davids is the first gay, Native-American candidate to ever have a shot at being elected into Congress. 

Athens voters will have a couple of diverse candidates to vote for including Rick Neal, who is running for House of Representatives in the 15th District, and Taylor Sappington, who is running for State Representative in 94th District. Both candidates identify as a part of the LGBT community.

This midterm election is different. People are no longer sitting back and waiting for something to change with this current administration. They are going to work hard to make it change. You can, too, by getting out and voting on November 6th.  

Kailee Missler is a sophomore studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you think? Let Kailee know by tweeting her @kaileerenee99.