Convenience Delivered

8/23/2018

New delivery service comes to Athens

Taylor Johnston / For The Post

GoPuff, an on-demand delivery service app, delivers in more than 30 cities around the country and expanded to Athens this past spring. Other Ohio towns goPuff delivers to are Columbus, Cleveland and Dayton.

The company offers delivery of more than 2,000 products ranging from snacks, toilet paper, over-the-counter medication and more, Elizabeth Romaine, director of communications at goPuff, said.

GoPuff is different than other delivery services, such as UberEats and Postmates.

“We deliver the moments that matter most,” Romaine said in an email. “If you are hungry or sick, we got you, judgement-free. We control the entire customer experience, as we own the products.”

descutner

Taylor Johnston | ILLUSTRATION

The company was founded by Yakir Gola and Rafael Ilishayev in 2013 while they were both students at Drexel University. The two were also featured on the 2017 Forbes 30 Under 30 list under the “retail and ecommerce” section.

Drivers for the company use their own cars, but whatever the customer orders is already at a nearby warehouse inventory.

“(The warehouses are) one of the ways we can delivery super fast,” Romaine said in an email.

Customers can order online through the goPuff website or the app, she said. Each delivery has a fee of $1.95 with the opportunity to obtain free delivery on orders over $49. Deliveries happen 24/7.

While most convenience-store items can be ordered through the company, alcohol is not an option yet for Athens residents.

In Dayton the company has applied for permits to sell beer and other carryout alcoholic beverages in the area.

While Athens customers may not be able to get alcohol from goPuff quite yet, Flamin’ Hot Cheetos have been a popular request in the Athens area, Romaine said.

Tanner Hites, a senior studying exercise physiology, said he has never used goPuff before but has seen the ads and knows what it’s about.

“Personally I wouldn’t use it,” he said. “I feel like if you have someone shop for you, there’s less of a chance you’ll get what you want.”

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.