Day 14 of football camp: Ohio moves inside to Walter Fieldhouse and changes practice schedule

The Bobcats practiced Tuesday afternoon for the 14th time during fall camp. It was conducted in periods inside Walter Fieldhouse, with a total of 25 periods over two hours and 30 minutes. Ohio just wore helmets. Here are The Post’s observations:

ATTENDANCE:

Absent: Elijah Ball (season-ending injury), Austin Conrad (leg), Tyler Tupa (leg), Javon Hagan (undisclosed), Andrew Meyer (leg), TJ Robinson (ankle), Marlin Brooks (undisclosed), Juan Watkins (arm), Mason Bernhardt (undisclosed), Jerome Buckner (knee), Jalen Fox (undisclosed), Justin Birchette (undisclosed). 

Returned: Durrell Wood, O’Shaan Allison, Dante Ruozzo, Felipe Fernandez. 

Limited: Jamal Hudson (knee), Kaieem Caesar (undisclosed), Sam McKnight (undisclosed). 

Notes:

• Wood and Fernandez both returned to the practice field after being absent at Monday morning’s practice. 
  • A day after going through some drills, Ruozzo practiced the entire time for the first time in weeks. 
  • Tupa did a few sprints with strength coach Dak Notestine at the beginning of practice and iced it for the rest. He’s supposed to be back in the week or two. 
  • The Bobcats have moved their schedule around for the rest of the week. They’ll practice Thursday and Friday at 1:30 p.m. A large part of that decision has to be because of how many injuries Ohio is fighting. 

OBSERVATIONS:

Sights and Sounds

• With rain showers on and off throughout the afternoon, the Bobcats moved practice indoors. 
  • Some funny moments in practice today including a wide receivers drill. Wide receiver's coach Dwayne Dixon had multiple players hanging on to a wide receiver when he was trying to catch a pass. Makes for some laughs and good when trying to break off a cornerback. 
  • Pretty crowded practice with a boosters and fans milling around. 

Passing game

• I missed a few passing periods in practice today while focusing on some defensive depth chart notes, but accumulated some stats. 
  • Nathan Rourke was 12 of 16 in Monday’s practice. He completed passes to AJ Ouellette, Cam Odom and Papi White (two each); Bryan Long, Markel Davis, Noah Hoffman, DL Knock, Julian Ross and Shane Hooks (one each). 
  • In the first 7-on-7 periods of the day, it was the most competitive snaps taken by the quarterbacks. They were tasked with scoring a touchdown in a minute and ten seconds, and another in thirty seconds. 
  • Rourke couldn’t find success in a minute and ten seconds, with three incomplete passes time ran out before he could score a touchdown. Quinton Maxwell, who finished the day 7 of 7, made easy work with five straight completions. The best pass was the touchdown pass, when he found Hooks in the back right corner of the end zone. 
  • Rourke found success in the thirty second drill, though. He needed just two passes for a touchdown, the last one on a seam route to Hoffman. Hoffman continues to impress making catches in open field. 
  • Quarterbacks coach Scott Isphording took his players aside a few times Tuesday to work on ball security, something that’s done everyday at camp. Isphording has created his own version of a bat to try and knock out footballs. 
  • The Bobcats continue to practice the flea flicker with both Rourke and Maxwell in at quarterback. It's worth mentioning because it’s pretty fun to watch. 
  • White and Long each had drops. 

Defensive notes

• With no pads on, the defense didn’t hit at all Tuesday. They spent time with interception circuits. Whenever the defensive line was hitting against the offensive line they held pads for a better effect. 
  • The linebacker core has seemed to finalize its rotation between Evan Croutch, Eric Popp, Dylan Conner, Austin Clack and Tyler Gullett. T.J. Robinson seemed to be in the mix before his injury. 

Special teams

• The Bobcats focused on kickoff and punts in their special teams periods of Tuesday’s practice. The fieldhouse doesn’t lend itself to a good space for field goals. 

NEXT UP:

The Bobcats return to practice on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. as Ohio will take Wednesday off. Practice is open to the public.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu