Construction for new chemistry building will begin Aug. 30

Ohio University will begin construction on a new chemistry building Aug. 30. 

The 69,000-square-foot building will be located on the site of the parking lot north of Clippinger Laboratories. It will feature student and faculty collaboration spaces, research and instructional laboratories and offices.

“Teaching and research needs are dramatically different than they were when Clippinger Laboratories opened in 1965, and this project will reflect 21st Century instructional and research standards,” Joe Shields, interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said in a university press release. 

OU plans to open the new building by summer of 2020 as part of the first phase of renovation of Clippinger Labs, which is estimated to cost $42.6 million. 

The first phase of transitioning buildings will include moving undergraduate instructional laboratories from the basement of Clippinger to the first floor of the new facility. The first floor will also include a space for collaborative research and upper floors will house more laboratories, offices and conference rooms, according to a university press release. 

"The architects, planners, staff and faculty have all been involved in the collaborative discussions to develop an exciting new facility for chemistry,” Stephen C. Bergmeier, Professor and Chair of Chemistry and Biochemistry, said in a university press release. “We are excited for the project as it will complement the core strengths of the department and enable us to achieve our full potential for the 21st century."

There will be a groundbreaking reception from 3 to 5 p.m. in Clippinger Lab and on Aug. 27, parking lots 83 and 84 as well as a section of University Terrace will be closed to traffic. 

@sarahmpenix

sp936115@ohio.edu