President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of 2017 at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body to fill positions and introduce new members

Student Senate will start the new academic year off by introducing new members and explaining expectations and formalities at its meeting on Wednesday.

There are 10 resolutions it is looking to pass during this meeting, which will include appointing the budget committee, passing budgets to prepare for the Student Senate retreat on Saturday.

Over the summer, there was an interim LGBTQA+ Affairs Commissioner, and the position will be filled with an official commissioner. 

Student Senate will also be filling a vacancy of the senator on the Academic Affairs Commission. The rest of positions are planned to be filled over the next month or so, Madison Sloat, Student Senate president, said in an email. With recruiting from the Involvement Fair, they are hoping to bring in interns and new representatives.

The budgets to be passed for the retreat include purchases of Bobcat Leader’s Breakfast and the retreat lunch. 

Sloat said that her and her fellow executives, Hannah Burke and Lydia Ramlo, hope the meeting sets the tone for the year. 

“We’re proud of the representatives we have so far, and can’t wait to see the other student leaders that join our team in the coming months,” Sloat said in an email.

The meeting will take place Wednesday in Walter Hall 235 at 7:15 p.m.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu