One earbud in

8/23/2018

One Earbud In: Let the music write the memories

Logan Moore / For The Post

Starting school and finding new music go together well. As students, our lives change from season to season. Summer nights turn into 8 a.m. classes as we trade in our swimsuits and summer tans for overpriced textbooks.

Whether it be walking to class, going to a party, working or hanging out — music is always there for us. But, do we recognize its many benefits?

It’s likely that the first few weeks of school won’t cause a large amount of stress, but by the time October rolls around, we’ll be out of coffee and in need of a nap. Listening to music while studying is proven to reduce stress and boost cognitive activity. According to a Harvard study, “listening to music helps organize the firing of nerve cells in the right half of the cerebral cortex, the part of the brain responsible for higher functions.”

Music also helps with memory. Specifically, emotionally touching music results in a faster and more efficient recall of information. Just make sure the music isn’t too emotionally touching.

Feeling a creative block? Music may help with that too. In another study, creativity was higher for participants who listened to “happy music.” The practical side to this is that we as students can be more adapt to creativity in a world where its increasingly valued.

Approximately one out of five college students is affected by anxiety or depression. And, although music therapy is a common way to relieve depressive symptoms, studies show just simply listening to music can do the trick. By reducing blood pressure and providing emotional lyrical connections, music has the ability to aid in symptoms of depression and anxiety. After all, who hasn’t listened to Jack Johnson’s discography and not feel relaxed almost immediately?

Music is a prominent part of our lives, yet we seldom see its beneficial effects. So, the next time you’re handed the aux cord at a party, remember that your song choice could be sewn in with the memory of that evening.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.