Summer news recap

8/23/2018

Here’s the news you missed this summer

Ellen Wagner / Asst. News Editor

Throughout the summer, Ohio University was acknowledged for diversity, appointed new staff members and created a new research partnership. Here are some of the highlights of what happened at OU while the students were away:

OU adopts new free speech policies

OU President Duane Nellis approved three new policies regarding free speech July 26 after almost a year of discussion between students, faculty and staff.

The policies outline the university’s stance on free expression along with time, place and manner regulations on the use of indoor and outdoor spaces for demonstrations, protests, marches and gatherings, according to a previous Post report.

Kathy Fahl hired as assistant dean of students

On June 18, Kathy Fahl was named the new assistant dean of students and will begin her position Aug. 13.

Fahl will help the Division of Student Affairs with several incentives, including the food pantry and developing emergency mini-grants for student in crisis situations.

OU’s Master of Sports Administration program is ranked first in the world

In early June, for the fourth consecutive year, OU’s Master of Sports Administration (MSA) program was named the best post-graduate sports management program in the world, according to SportsBusiness International.

That is the sixth time in seven years the program has been ranked. The rank is based on “student satisfaction, graduates’ full-time employment in the sports industry and the program’s reputation amongst sports management academic professionals,” according to a university news release.

descutner

Kaitlin Owens | FILE

The exterior of Cutler Hall, located on College Green, which houses the offices of the president, the provost and other senior administrative officers.

Erin Essak Kopp chosen to lead Ohio Alumni Association

Erin Essak Kopp was appointed as assistant vice president of alumni relations and executive director of the Ohio Alumni Association (OAA) on June 7.

She has served as senior director of alumni relations at the University of Oregon and brings 16 years of higher education experience in alumni relations, fundraising, marketing and community relations. Essak Kopp will officially join the OAA on Aug. 6.

“I am excited to honor the past while exploring new ways to connect alumni to each other and to the University,” Kopp said in a university new release.

OU receives national award for career services excellence

The Career and Leadership Development Center (CDLC) was recognized by the National Association for Colleges and Employers (NACE) with a National Excellence Award for Career Services Excellence in June.

Imants Jaunarajs, assistant dean of students for the CLDC, accepted the award on behalf of the center during NACE’s 2018 conference. NACE awards recognize career services, university relations and recruiting best practices.

OU reaffirms commitment to diversity and community

On June 27, OU stated it would continue its commitment to diversity and community after the Supreme Court upheld President Donald Trump’s Proclamation No. 9645, also known as the “travel ban."

The proclamation seeks to “improve vetting procedures” for those traveling to the United States from eight foreign states that the President “deemed inadequate.”

OU named one of the most LGBT-friendly online colleges in the nation

The university was recognized for its diverse and inclusive culture on a national scale when it was ranked one of the most LGBT-friendly online colleges in the nation for 2018 by SR Education Group on July 12.

OU was ranked as the the second-most affordable LGBT-friendly online college in the country. On a one to five-star rating scale, OU received four stars in LGBT-friendly factors: policy inclusion, support and institutional commitment, academic life, housing, recruitment and retention, campus safety, counseling and health.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.