Take it from Us

8/23/2018

‘Post’ seniors share advice for underclassmen at Ohio University

The Post Staff / For The Post

We’ve been here for four years. We have ventured to Union Street Diner on multiple occasions, trekked up Bong Hill on the last night of the year just to see the view from the top and sat through countless lectures. By now, we know Athens, so take it from us: enjoy yourself while you’re here.

Chuck Greenlee, Opinion Editor
Actually do your homework before you go out. You won’t wake up before class to do it the next day. I promise.

Lauren Fisher, Editor-in-Chief
Your space absolutely reflects your mood. Even if you’re in a tiny dorm room, keep it tidy, invest in some cleaning supplies, and for the love of all that is good and holy, make your bed! Your future self and inner Monica Geller will thank you.

descutner

A decorated cap thanking "Mom and Dad" is seen during commencement in The Convo at OU's 2017 graduation. (FILE)

Alex McCann, Digital Managing Editor:
Look, we all know you’re probably going to drink at least a little bit. That’s fine. Just be smart about it. (Do I sound like a dad? Oh boy.) If you’re drinking in the dorms, don’t be loud or you’ll get caught by your RA — I’m speaking from personal experience here. If you’re at a party, stick with your friends and keep an eye on each other. If you’re at the bars, act like an adult and pretend you’ve been there before.

Keeping all that boring crap in mind, have fun. Introduce yourself to strangers. Talk about majors and hometowns and music and sports and whatever else you like. Meet the people who live at the house where you’re partying. At least you can thank them for hosting a party or compliment them on their artful decor skills (read: a Pulp Fiction poster, an old couch and a table for beer pong).

Speaking of which, play a game or two of beer pong (just watch your elbows). Don’t be nervous. Smile. You’re in the happiest place on Earth now. Enjoy it — it goes way, way too fast.

Oh, and call your parents once in a while. They miss you.

Georgia Davis, Blogs Editor:
OU is a wonderful place to find yourself. Whether you are a freshman, senior or transfer student, you will find a place where you feel like you. I know. It’s cheesy. I didn’t expect to find a place I love more than my cozy home with my family. But I found it at OU, and more specifically, at The Athena Cinema. Smile at strangers as you walk by them on the street. Go to a football game and leave at halftime like everyone else. And enjoy eating in the dining halls because meal prep is difficult. Make OU your own, and respect its history.

Maddie Capron, Managing Editor:
Take time to fall in love with Athens. Go to Union Street Diner at 4 a.m. just because you can. Walk around campus in different ways every now and then. Scream as loud as you can for the Marching 110 Alumni Band when they make their way down Court Street during Homecoming. Watch all of the people from the Courthouse steps on Halloween. Visit Pumpkin the Board of Elections cat during bad days. Make many different friends and take time to lie in your dorm room and watch movies and eat junk food on rainy days. College is fun. Fall in love with it.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Landing Page

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.